New Orleans Train Travel - Best Guess?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill Needles

Ok all, what do you think the next 60 days hold for train travel thru New Orleans? It looks obvious that New Orleans is out of service for a long time. I pray for the people affected. Will Amtrak find a way to route the trains that connected thru New Orleans around in some way, possibly on a more northern route? Will they just leave it as is using San Antonio and Atlanta as stopping points for the Crescent and Sunset Limited?

We have a trip thru there planned for the 8th of October and I am starting to think I should cancel and book air travel for the trip...Bill

In my humble opinion I do not think there will be any scheduled trains stoping in New Orleans until January. They don't expect to allow residents back for 12 weeks.

Bill Needles said:
Ok all, what do you think the next 60 days hold for train travel thru New Orleans? It looks obvious that New Orleans is out of service for a long time. I pray for the people affected. Will Amtrak find a way to route the trains that connected thru New Orleans around in some way, possibly on a more northern route? Will they just leave it as is using San Antonio and Atlanta as stopping points for the Crescent and Sunset Limited?
We have a trip thru there planned for the 8th of October and I am starting to think I should cancel and book air travel for the trip...Bill
Bill, it's very hard to say at this point for sure just what will happen. However, my guess is that we won't see service in that area for 2 or more months.

It's unlikely that we'll see them rerouting around the area either, since the freight companies will be rerouting their own trains on any available track and won't have the capacity to handle Amtrak too.

If by some miracle the east-west route through NOL isn't severly damaged, or is quickly repaired, then maybe there would be a slight chance that the Sunset would be restored as non-stop train through NOL, assuming that they can find some other stop to re-crew and refuel the train.

I don't think that we'll see the Crescent or the City of NOL returning for at least 2 months regardless of track conditions.

AlanB said:
Bill Needles said:
Bill, it's very hard to say at this point for sure just what will happen. However, my guess is that we won't see service in that area for 2 or more months.

It's unlikely that we'll see them rerouting around the area either, since the freight companies will be rerouting their own trains on any available track and won't have the capacity to handle Amtrak too.

If by some miracle the east-west route through NOL isn't severly damaged, or is quickly repaired, then maybe there would be a slight chance that the Sunset would be restored as non-stop train through NOL, assuming that they can find some other stop to re-crew and refuel the train.

I don't think that we'll see the Crescent or the City of NOL returning for at least 2 months regardless of track conditions.
Other idea is busistuted in the missing link. If that happens, we'll see if Sunset Limited (western and eastern) would be on time.

I looked at some satellite photos in Meteorology today and it looks like the CN might've gotten wiped out as well. I'd say it could very well be Christmas or so before we can even think about the trains running in there again.

Well, we rebooked our trip today the northern route, Austin to Chicago to Washington D.C. and down to South Carolina. Should be quite the trip...will we enjoy such a long trip for our first train trip?...Bill

battalion51 said:
I looked at some satellite photos in Meteorology today and it looks like the CN might've gotten wiped out as well. I'd say it could very well be Christmas or so before we can even think about the trains running in there again.
Sean,

That is true my CN sources are telling me that it is gone totally.

AmtrakFan said:
battalion51 said:
Sean,

That is true my CN sources are telling me that it is gone totally.
CN is telling BNSF that MAys Yard in NOL is open and can handle traffic :)

Bill Needles said:
Well, we rebooked our trip today the northern route, Austin to Chicago to Washington D.C. and down to South Carolina. Should be quite the trip...will we enjoy such a long trip for our first train trip?...Bill
Depends on the type of folks you are. I thought the whole three days on the Zephyr was great... my traveling companion needed to bring a lot of activities to keep from getting bored.

If you get some layovers of reasonable length, there are things to see nearby the stations in both Chicago and DC.

Back