Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Photo by Robert Mueller:

attachicon.gif
20664889_10156458744913835_3228826500986243988_n.jpg
Looks much better then just the word Siemens written in big green letters. I think it looks good.
I have to agree that it looks good. I have only two very minor things that I am not sure about; it seems busy on the nose with both the name and emblem and the transition of the stripes (and blue dots) at the back end.

A couple of bits from the latest AASHTO 305 board meeting on the Chargers. It was released on the day of the battery incident, but earlier in the day.

1. The Wi-tronix system appeared to be the reason that held up the Chargers from being lead units. They estimate that will take only a week or two to work through that (I would assume they can still do that while solving the battery thing). Although there is some additional testing that will need to be done on the lines to St Louis and Detroit lines.

2. They jinxed themselves by saying there hadn't been any issues to date with the units.

3. The Midwest states and Caltrains now have lease agreements in place with Amtrak, Washington State is still working on theirs...

4. Several of the Midwest Chargers are in storage in CO until some of the P42s are moved out of Chicago.

So there is that, and the battery thing.

They do manufacture a detection system that is available railroads for the purpose of detecting the presence of cell or data device usage. I don't believe that is what is in play here, and it is the maintenance and operational data capture and record transmission system we are dealing with.

A couple of bits from the latest AASHTO 305 board meeting on the Chargers. It was released on the day of the battery incident, but earlier in the day.

1. The Wi-tronix system appeared to be the reason that held up the Chargers from being lead units. They estimate that will take only a week or two to work through that (I would assume they can still do that while solving the battery thing). Although there is some additional testing that will need to be done on the lines to St Louis and Detroit lines.

2. They jinxed themselves by saying there hadn't been any issues to date with the units.

3. The Midwest states and Caltrains now have lease agreements in place with Amtrak, Washington State is still working on theirs...

4. Several of the Midwest Chargers are in storage in CO until some of the P42s are moved out of Chicago.

There is no State department in California called "Caltrains" its Caltrans.

There is no State department in California called "Caltrains" its Caltrans.
Oops! :blush: I should have caught that one....

They do manufacture a detection system that is available railroads for the purpose of detecting the presence of cell or data device usage. I don't believe that is what is in play here, and it is the maintenance and operational data capture and record transmission system we are dealing with.
Indeed. Don't leave port without it.

Wi-Tracker™

The Wi-Tracker is the asset tracking system integrated within the Wi-PU to give you accurate asset locations and status.

Track your assets and view live operations information straight from the source. Wi-Tracker utilizes GPS and GeoFencing technology to provide you with the precise location and status of your assets. Follow your fleets with mapping, status summaries, historical details and distances traveled tools on the Wi-Tronix website.Pair Wi-Tracker with emergency alerts to keep your operations running smoothly. With alerts ranging from emergency-brake applications to throttle position and engine-running status, you’ll be able to rest easy knowing that your fleet is fully monitored.
Wi-DownloadER™

Just because your assets are thousands of miles away doesn't mean your data should be.

Wi-DownloadER is the fleet-wide event recorder download platform that downloads your Event Recorder, DVR, and other system information and sends it to you in real time. Monitor the health of your DVR systems, get video and still image snapshots, and access historical records instantly.Use the secure website hosted by Wi-Tronix to access your downloads from anywhere in the world. Get customizable alerts based on administrative security permissions so you are always in touch with what's happening.

Wi-FuelSensor™

The Wi-FuelSensor gives you the power of accurate fuel readings and helpful alerts so you can get the most out of your fuel. With the addition of Wi-NAV to your fuel sensor, get improved readings of fuel even when the asset is tilted.

Using ultrasonic technology, the Wi-FuelSensor reads your asset’s fuel tank levels in real time and gives you alerts based on your specific requirements Receive notifications of sudden fuel drops for timely detection of fuel theft, excess idle alerts to reduce fuel usage, and even know if the current tank level is enough to get to the destination with May Not Have Enough Fuel alerts.

Hi Thirdrail7,

Thanks for the update. Your information is always appreciated!! I'll keep an eye out for solo performances.

Hi Thirdrail7,

Thanks for the update. Your information is always appreciated!! I'll keep an eye out for solo performances.
Then, you probably want to keep your eye on the Milwaukee service today and tomorrow. :ph34r:

Another forum shows that #4620 brought Hiawatha train #330 from Milwaukee into Chicago, and that the Charger went out on #333 back to MKE.

Andy

Video posted by MobileRailSpotterRxR on Thursday shows IDTX 4626 and 4627 in Sacramento after they left the factory.

California has released some of their units for solo operation. Some new leaders in the Midwest will emerge tomorrow. Washington doesn't have any in service at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw a couple Capitol Corridor trains Friday... They were double heading behind F59PHI locomotives.

California has released some of their units for solo operation. Some new leaders in the Midwest will emerge tomorrow. Washington doesn't have any in service at this time.
I believe that is due to leasing not being set in stone?
According to the latest 305 meeting notes, Washington had not finalized their agreement with Amtrak.

Is the current breakdown on numbers from this order still 32 for the Midwest, 6 for California, 8 for Washington, and 8 for MARC? Or did I miss some more options that where picked up?

Washington isn't in a huge hurry to finalize that lease. They only need the new locos for their schedule when they finish the Tacoma Trestle sometime later this year. Expect it to be finalized before the new schedule and the reroute are implemented, though.

Washington isn't in a huge hurry to finalize that lease. They only need the new locos for their schedule when they finish the Tacoma Trestle sometime later this year. Expect it to be finalized before the new schedule and the reroute are implemented, though.
There is another incentive to get the state-owned locomotives in service. When that happens, they can stop lease payments to Amtrak for the Amtrak-owned power. Thinking of it that way, Amtrak has a major incentive to delay finalizing the leases.

There is another incentive to get the state-owned locomotives in service. When that happens, they can stop lease payments to Amtrak for the Amtrak-owned power. Thinking of it that way, Amtrak has a major incentive to delay finalizing the leases.
OTOH, Amtrak desperately needs those locomotives so that it can relieve some pressure and catch up on preventive maintenance on its P42 fleet to keep its MDBF from sinking further from the borderline unacceptable level to a totally unacceptable one.

Amtrak has been known for striking hard bargains recently. I would expect that Amtrak is delaying the agreement with Washington State by bargaining. Washington is not in a hurry until later this year: as noted previously, they only need the locos when the Tacoma Trestle is finished (a project for which they have been unable to give a date -- any news from locals?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back