New to train travel any advice?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello this is my first post here. I am leaving from Greensboro, NC going to Wilmington, DE. I think I am taking the Carolinian, I upgraded to business class and have already got my tickets. It says my train leaves at 9:45am how early should I be? Am I going to get strip-searched like the airport? I am a smoker I hear that certain stops I can get off and smoke should I leave my carry on in my seat or take it with me. I am taking alot of valuable electronics do I need to take extra care about leaving them while I go to the restroom or dining car? Is my seat reserved I didn't see a seat number on my ticket? I know I have lots of questions any advice or info is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

There are no airline-style security checks for Amtrak. Just show-up and get on. This means that you can arrive just before departure. I usually arrive about 20 minutes early to avoid any surprises. I also recommend checking Amtrak.com and the Train Status prior to leaving for the station. Trains can and do run late.

Although you have a “reservation”, Amtrak seats are not pre-assigned. In business class, you will either just grab an available seat after you board, or the car attendant will assign you a seat as you board. Trains are reasonably safe for your carry-on, so at smoking stops or for trips to the café or the lavatory, you can leave your bags at your seat without too much worry.

As PRR60 said, trains can and do run late. However you hopefully should be ok because your train will have just originated at Charflotte about 1 1/2 hours earlier. It will not have been waiting for any late rail connections(at Charotte) so unless something really freakish is going on, you should at least start out right on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back