New Years Eve

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFLady

Train Attendant
anyone ever been on a train on New Years Eve for the countdown? Just trying to explore all my options and thinking that might be fun..... :lol:

I have heard the crews will sometimes do something special. Also around the holiday, some crews will put up decorations in the Lounge and Dining Cars (lights, ribbons, etc.). :)

thanks... been on a ship for New Years Eve... wondered what it would be like....

Amfleet said:
I have heard the crews will sometimes do something special. Also around the holiday, some crews will put up decorations in the Lounge and Dining Cars (lights, ribbons, etc.). :)
I have seen this done the zephyr in particular.

Amtrak doesn't officially do anything for the holidays. However the better train crews that really take pride in their jobs, usually do small things and decorations around the holidays. It really just depends on the crews.

As I'm sure you encountered even in the service, there are those that do a good job and take pride in their work and jobs, and then there are those that do just enough to skate by with out getting caught. So if you hit a good crew, you'll have a great trip and if you do travel around the holidays then you may see decorations.

One thing that I will mention, which I found really cool when traveling right before Christmas is seeing all the houses decorated from the window of the train as we passed through the towns. That was really cool. :)

Like Alan said it really depends on the crew. Many times people who wish to be awake for the countdown congregate in the lounge and/or Dining cars which are pretty empty at night. Some of the LSA's have been known to get an extra case of non-revenue Ginger Ale and some plastic champagne glasses to help ring in the new year. But it all really depends on the crew.

I did however forget that Amtrak did do something special for the 1999 New Years Eve. :)

Since everyone was worried about the Y2K syndrome of crashing computers since they didn't understand the year 2000, Amtrak did do something special that year. They stopped every train wherever it was at 5 minutes to midnight. Most remained stopped for at least 10 minutes, some as long as 15 or 20 minutes. Once everyone was sure that the computers controlling the signals were still working properly, and then the trains were allowed to continue on their way.

I seem to remember reading that, because of that planned stoppage for that New Years Eve; Amtrak did provide champagne to those who were still up in the lounge car.

thanks for the info, I guess I really need to see if my daughter has anything planned for us to do while I'm up there. :D

Wow, makes me hope I get a great crew in December, as I leave Newark on Christmas Day, via the Silver Star to Orlando.

Viewliner said:
Wow, makes me hope I get a great crew in December, as I leave Newark on Christmas Day, via the Silver Star to Orlando.

I'll wish a great crew for you and you do the same for me.

I have a special New Year's Eve memory, in a way. Though it does not involve anything specific being done on the train. It was from ATl to NYC just specifically to ring in the year 1984.

On the way up The Crescent really did go 120 mph at some points between WAS and NY(though it was not supposed to). I did clock it by the mileposts. My hotel, the one I have always stayed at(but will not be staying there on my August trip) is just half a block from Times Square.

Train extremely "busy" and crowded in each direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back