New York to Toronto ... need assistance!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thesqueegeekid

I would really appreciate your help.

I need to return to Toronto next week and I found this board from a link on flyertalk.com.

So far, I checked the rate on VIA - $111CAN or Amtrak $70 something US$ and I was unable to enter any acceptable discount codes on each. I tried some that were listed here on the board and another from google searching.

Is there any potential discount for a one way trip?

Also is there any other train service to Toronto?

I can get a flight for not too much more BUT I really want a long relaxing train ride.

Thanks..!!!

One more piece of information ... on the VIA site, I am unable to book a ticket as they "do not have a ticket office" at the station and I am too close to the date to get tickets by mail (14 days). Surprising that they have not adopted "e-tickets" yet.

Usually, you cannot use discount codes for one way travel. That is why those are probably not working.

Use Amtrak's website to book your trip. They have a train that goes from New York Penn station to Toronto every day. It leaves in the morning and arrives Toronto in the early evening.

You can pay for your ticket online, get the reservation number, and then pick up the ticket at the station. It is posible to use the automatic ticket machines with this system too.

If you have more questions, call 1-800-872-7245 to get a live reservation's agent. To get around the automated voice, wait until you are asked to respond, and then say "ticket agent". YOu will then be connected to a lie ticket agent.

Good luck.

Steve4031 said:
Usually, you cannot use discount codes for one way travel.  That is why those are probably not working.
The Amtrak discounts typically do apply to one way travel. They do not apply to travel where portions of the route are operated by VIA into Ontario, and that is why the discount cannot be applyed to a ticket from New York to Toronto.

You could try booking the trip as two trips with two tickets. One from New York to Buffalo with the 25% discount, and a second from Buffalo to Toronto with a standard adult fare.

Thank you very much ... I am going to look into my tickets right now.

It is incorrect to say that Amtrak promotional fare discounts are not valid for one-way trips. Most Amtrak fares are one-way fares. The problem is that the joint Amtrak-VIA Rail Maple Leaf is ususally ineligible for fare discounts because it operates under a joint tariff.

Also, Amtrak ticket offices and reservations centers are quite capable of booking and ticketing VIA Rail reservations. However it is not necessary to book through VIA Rail for travel on the Maple Leaf that originates in the U.S. Amtrak has that train in its own reservations system (just like VIA has it in its reservations system for travel that originates in Canada).

Call a human Amtrak agent at 1-800-872-7245 if you feel unsure of the self-service booking options (i.e., Internet, "Julie").

If you're traveling next week, you may be doing so during the Memorial Day blackout period as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back