Newbie of course

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatchesC

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hi everyone, I've got myself: 43yo CNC machinist for Cummins, husband: 45yo builds train blowers, and my 14yo typical teen daughter from South Central Indiana. We're finally planning a rail trip vs driving or flying-too darn stressful. First plan up is taking my mom & dad to D.C. next year because my dad has always wanted to visit and see Lincoln Memorial and Arlington.

Hi everyone, I've got myself: 43yo CNC machinist for Cummins, husband: 45yo builds train blowers, and my 14yo typical teen daughter from South Central Indiana. We're finally planning a rail trip vs driving or flying-too darn stressful. First plan up is taking my mom & dad to D.C. next year because my dad has always wanted to visit and see Lincoln Memorial and Arlington.
Assume you'd take the Cap Limited to DC, where were you planning to catch it? DC Union Station is conveniently located but the nearby hotels aren't cheap.

Assume you'd take the Cap Limited to DC, where were you planning to catch it? DC Union Station is conveniently located but the nearby hotels aren't cheap.
We'll be catching the Cardinal from either Indianapolis or Cincinnati. Both are almost the same distance for us to get to. Our hotel is near Rosslyn since prices are more reasonable and more food options, so we may stop at Alexandria,VA station instead.

We'll be catching the Cardinal from either Indianapolis or Cincinnati. Both are almost the same distance for us to get to. Our hotel is near Rosslyn since prices are more reasonable and more food options, so we may stop at Alexandria,VA station instead.
Alexandria is a very nice station with helpful staff. Lyfts are plentiful — I just did a test booking from the Alexandria train station to Rosslyn, and pickup was in 6 minutes and the ride time was half an hour, for about $15. Of course, that will all vary, but this is just to give you an idea.

I haven’t done Uber but imagine they are plentiful, too.

Taxis are usually out front, but I don’t know how much they would charge to go to Rosslyn.

Hope this is helpful. Sounds like a lovely trip and I’m sure your parents will enjoy it.

Alexandria is a very nice station with helpful staff. Lyfts are plentiful — I just did a test booking from the Alexandria train station to Rosslyn, and pickup was in 6 minutes and the ride time was half an hour, for about $15. Of course, that will all vary, but this is just to give you an idea.

I haven’t done Uber but imagine they are plentiful, too.

Taxis are usually out front, but I don’t know how much they would charge to go to Rosslyn.

Hope this is helpful. Sounds like a lovely trip and I’m sure your parents will enjoy it.
Alexandria station seems like it may be easier to navigate vs DC especially with my dad. He uses a cane or walker depending on the day normally. Either stop is quoting the same price, so just comes down to what will make sense with him. We'll have an EVC delivered to the hotel since we can't get rentals at home. Husband had estimated $40-50/trip in a LfytXL to accommodate, still cheaper than renting a car.

Back