One day trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm retired and live in Jacksonville, FL. About a year ago I saw a program on TV about the train that runs from New Orleans to the west coast.

I recall that it was about a three day trip and it went north and then west through the mountains. It stopped somewhere in the mid-west after a days travel.

I thought I might like to take that train (with my wife) for the first day. Fly to New Orleans to get the train and then after one days travel get off and fly back home.

Can anyone tell me how I can get more information on this?

Thanks,

Bob (Reynard)

Start out by checking Amtrak's official website at www.amtrak.com

There are trains that run all over the country including to your hometown of Jacksonville. The train to New Orleans is called the Sunset Limited and begins in Orlando, goes through Jacksonville, heads west to New Orleans and then west to California. There are many other trains that offer scenic routes all over the country. You can plan out your own trip or see a travel agent or get in contact with the Amtrak Vacations people. Perhaps the train you saw on TV was the American Orient Express, a luxury type train that has various routes across the U.S. It is very expensive, but if you have the means it would be a great trip for you and your wife. Feel free to ask us advice here as you plan your trip. Good luck.

Thanks for your response. Of course I have already 'checked out' the Amtrak web site (that's how I found this forum.

Regarding the Sunset Limited, as far as I can tell, when it leaves New Orleans it goes west thru Texas and across the desert (what I call the Santa Fe trail route to California). I recall that the train shown on the TV program went north/west from New Orleans and then over the Rockies to California, stopping before heading into the mountains, which is where I would get off.

I couldn't find anything that showed that route.

Bob Reynard

California Zephyr goes through the Rockies (Chicago-Denver-Salt Lake City-(San Francisco) to California. There is another train, Southwest Chief that goes from Chicago to Los Angeles via Albuquerque and Williams Jct, the gateway to Grand Canyon. I would rate California Zephyr as the most moutain scenic ride.

You can ride train on City of New Orleans from New Orleans to Chicago and then transfer to California Zephyr. Chicago considers to be the "hub" of Amtrak on long distance trains.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

BTW, I checked out the American Orient Express and they don't have a 'western' trip that leaves from New Orleans either.

I only want to stay on the train for about a day (one over-night).

Would you recommend the (Chicago-Denver) leg or the (Denver-Salt Lake City) leg?

Bob Reynard

RReynard said:
Regarding the Sunset Limited, as far as I can tell, when it leaves New Orleans it goes west thru Texas and across the desert (what I call the Santa Fe trail route to California).  
Bob,

That's correct, the Sunset stays down south during it's entire journey.

RReynard said:
I recall that the train shown on the TV program went north/west from New Orleans and then over the Rockies to California, stopping before heading into the mountains, which is where I would get off.
There is no current Amtrak route that makes the run you describe. Frankly, since you say you saw this on a TV show, I'm wondering if you saw the American Orient Express. They run a luxury train called the Transcontinental. It's route is somewhat similar to what you describe. They may also have a few other runs that might be similar to what you describe. I didn't check out all of the runs.

AOE however has no relationship with Amtrak and does not accept Amtrak tickets. AOE also does not run daily trains, these are excursion trains. Some routes are only run once a year, others maybe six or seven times a year.

Now Amtrak does offer packages where one can fly in one direction, while taking the train in the other direction. However you would be confined to the Amtrak routes in existence. Probably the closest you could get to the run you describe, would be to fly to Chicago and then take either the Southwest Chief or the Zephyr from Chicago. Then fly home from somewhere along the route if you didn't want to go all the way.

You can get more info on this fly/ride package from the Amtrak Vacations website located here. Just give them a call to talk routes and numbers.

If you want more info on the luxury rides from AOE, you can find their site by clicking here.

Hope this helps some. If you've got more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

RReynard said:
Thanks for your response. Of course I have already 'checked out' the Amtrak web site (that's how I found this forum.
I believe they were referring to Amtrak's official website at www.amtrak.com. You found this forum at www.amtraktrains.com. :)

RReynard said:
Would you recommend the (Chicago-Denver) leg or the (Denver-Salt Lake City) leg?
Chicago-Denver leg is mostly flat while Denver-Salt Lake City leg is the most scenic because you'll go through the Moffet Tunnel (it will shut down this summer for major repairs) and the Rockies. Moffet Tunnel is the longest tunnel in the US.

The arrival time into Salt Lake City occurs at night, so be prepare for that, esp. trains are usually few hours late.

RReynard said:
I'm retired and live in Jacksonville, FL. About a year ago I saw a program on TV about the train that runs from New Orleans to the west coast.
I recall that it was about a three day trip and it went north and then west through the mountains. It stopped somewhere in the mid-west after a days travel.

I thought I might like to take that train (with my wife) for the first day. Fly to New Orleans to get the train and then after one days travel get off and fly back home.

Can anyone tell me how I can get more information on this?

Thanks,

Bob (Reynard)
HI BOB

I kind of agree that the Califonia Zypher is the better then the Sunset Limited. Scenery that is.

It is okay to ride thru the delta country and New Orleans, Texas and the desert country begun is fun but

The running along the Colorado River on a train into Denvnr is better.

Have fun on your trip!

Rides Often

:D :rolleyes: B)

Fla Trains are fun!!!

One note about the American Orient Express...you said you checked and they don't have a route like that either. Could be the TV program you saw was for a PAST route, i.e. their routes may possilby change from year to year....

It is quite possible that they do not have a stable set of routes such as Amtrak has. That may be the source of confusion. Or....it could have been some kind of special train operator other than the well known AOE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back