Operations into Penn Station New York Suspended

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
According to NBC 4, everything, Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, LIRR, and the Subways have just been suspended for an unspecified reason.

I will Update this as it progresses.

I'm a minute ahead, look at the post times, but it only involved LIRR before, Alan Made a post just after me, but practically at the same time.

LIRR: Suspended Indefinitely

Amtrak: Running With Delays

NJT: No Reported Delays

Subways: Some still bypassing

There are still Smoke conditions which could be causing the problems.

The delays and reroutes and such are due to damage of a bridge in New York. I believe I saw it in the press release segment of Amtrak's Web site.

steve relei said:
The delays and reroutes and such are due to damage of a bridge in New York. I believe I saw it in the press release segment of Amtrak's Web site.
Steve,

I think that was an old press release from earlier this week about the bridge from the Bronx to Manhattan.

The current situation is unrelated to that. Plus that bridge wouldn't affect NJT nor the LIRR and only affected a limited number of Amtrak trains.

Nothing starts a weekend off on the right foot than a Friday PM Rush Hour fire (and accompanying smoke condition) in Penn Station. Hopefully the commute wasn't as bad as people probably took the day off with the 3 day weekend and all...

Things should be returning to normal by now, if they haven't already.

Train Service Restored After Fire Forced Evacuation At Penn Station(New York-WABC, February 14, 2003) — An electrical fire that filled parts of Pennsylvania Station with thick, white smoke wreaked havoc on Friday evening's commute. Parts of the station had to be temporarily evacuated and service on the LIRR, city subways and Amtrak was suspended for several hours.
Full story is here.

Well keep in mind not everyone has a three day weekend. Many major corporations do not give Presidents Day as a paid holiday. For many businesses paid off days are New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It varies by company though.

It is a busy travel weekend though as many schools just let out for winter break, and many will probably on the Silver Service to Florida or on various NEC. It will be a tough weekend considering DC is expecting 15 inches of snow.

I keep forgetting you get three breaks up there in the NE, we only get two down here. :(

battalion51 said:
I keep forgetting you get three breaks up there in the NE, we only get two down here. :(
I'm in the NE and it was changed this year from a February/April Vacation to a March. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back