Oregon City welcomes the whistle of Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcc

OREGON CITY -- When the first Amtrak train pulls into the city's new station Friday, it will be both long overdue and right on time.

Service was supposed to begin last fall but was delayed when Union Pacific Railroad, which owns the tracks, unexpectedly demanded that the city pay for $100,000 in track improvements.

But the daily service to Portland and Eugene starts just as the city revs up its economic development efforts, which include trying to attract more tourists and jobs, and giving its downtown a makeover.

http://www.oregonlive.com/metrosouth/orego...77103634561.xml

It's about time! However, the station (platform) is still quite a ways from the Oregon City downtown proper--it's a long walk, and there are not always sidewalks, and so far there is no talk of any kind of shuttle service. Tri-Met won't serve the station, either. I have asked the city about this, but there are no concrete answers yet. The new station is across the street from the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center--a big complex inside three big covered wagons that tells about the pioneers on the Oregon Trail.

The new Amtrak station at Oregon City, Oregon, opened to great fanfare yesterday--finally!!! I wasn't there for the festivities but heard and read about it. The mayor of Oregon City and numerous VIPs rode the train from Canby to Oregon City, where there was an opening ceremony. Seepches, etc. Bands played "Stars and Stripes Forever" and othr songs.

Although I wasn't there for the ceremonies, I did go look at the station in the afternoon (after all the hoopla died down). It is avery nice station. There is a platform and a small shelter--open air but should provide some protection from the rain. There is no station attendant; people will have to buy their tickets onboard the train from the conductor or from Amtrak-approved travel agencies. The station letters are ORC. Apparently "Julie" does not yet recognize Oregon City as an Amtrak stop. I talked to an agent on the phone who did not know (until I told him) that the Oregon City station had just opened.

Only the Cascades trains will be stopping here: northbound (to Portland and Seattle), train times are (assuming ontime): 7:39 am and 11:24 am. Southbound (to Eugene), train times are 5:51 pm and 9:21 pm. The Coast Starlight WILL NOT be stopping here.

The station is across the street from the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, a museum shaped like three huge covered wagons that have theatres and exhibits about the Oregon Trail and the hundreds of thousands of pioneers who traveled on it, and especially those who came to Oregon to settle here. Oregon City is a very historic town. For many years it was the capital of not only the Oregon Territory but also of much of the western part of the United States. For one, people had to come here to file their land claims. The charters for the cities of San Francisco and Los Angeles are on file in the Clackamas County Courthouse.

The ride southwest of the station, for several miles along the Willamette River, is quite scenic. It is just a 20-minute ride into Portland's Union Station. Officials are hoping that the station will inspire people to use the train for commuting into Portland (and vice versa). Fares range from $2.50 to $4.50 between Oregon City and Portland.

Apparently, the city has an idea about the station: the original ex-SP station still stands. It once was near the public elevator, then was moved to its present site where it is occupied with offices. The city would like to move the building to the present Amtrak depot site. It would be great to have such an historical building being put back into use as a present-day train station again.

The station is still quite a ways from downtown Oregon City proper--where all the county buildings are. It is quite a walk--even for me, let alone the elderly. I am hoping someone will provide some kind of shuttle between the depot and downtown. I ahve suggested it to several entities, but there is nothing definite, yet.

Still, it is a nice station. Take time to go take a look at it if you can.

"Julie" still isn't recognizing Oregon City as an Amtrak stop. However, the agent on the phone can bring up Oregon City on his computer screen--though you may have to insist on him/her that the station is open and available. It's been open for almost two weeks and is still Amtrak's newest station in the country. You can bring up the station on your own computers.

Oregon Cascades. "Rider numbers on the two state-supported Cascades trains, which operate between Portland and Eugene, continue to grow. A newly opened Amtrak station in Oregon City is expected to boost ridership further. " Click the link above to read the rest of the story from "The Portland Tribune." It is good news that the Cascades trains are doing so well and attracting increasing numbers of passengers. Hope the trend continues.

I've used the Cascades out of Oregon City at least 4 times in the past 10 days already... On time, except 1 hour late in, and 45 minutes late out on 2 separate trips.

I finally have a photo to show you of the new (April 2004) Oregon City (Oregon) Amtrak station.

The Oregon City Amtrak train Station (ORC) finally opened in April 2004(the October date was when it was originally supposed to open) to much fanfare. True, there is not much there--just a waiting place and platform, but it is functional and is the 10-year dream of the city and region. Eventually, the city hopes to move the original SP station (which is presently used for offices) to the site to be used once again as the city's train station. The view here is looking south (actually to the southwest), as the train is heading toward its final destination of Eugene. July 2004.

Oregon City Amtrak Station

Back