Outlets In Superliner Coachers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Right after Christmas, I will be taking the Capitol Limited from WAS to CHI to visit my fiances family and will be travelling in coach. As it is a 17 hour trip, mostly in the dark, I was thinking about bringing my laptop to entertain myself. Although I have travelled in coach in Superliners before, I have forgotten whether or not outlets are availiable in coach, and was wondering if they are, or if not, are they in the lounge? Thanks for your help!

Matt

Welcome to the boards Matt. Superliner coaches were mainly built without electircal outlets at all seats. There are a few scattered about for the cleaners to vaccum, but thats about it. I think there are a couple located near the staircase and then some at the end of each car. The only coaches I think to have outlets at every seat are the rare, rebuilt Superliner I Coaches. Remaining Superliner I and II Coaches were built with the scattered outlets only. Now in the Lounge I know there is an outlet or tow near the unused bar on the upperlevel. I've seen passengers charge up their cell phones in that location. Those are really the only locations I know of. I'm sure others will be of help though. :)

If its an option, the Sleeper compartments each have an outlet. Its not the best power source - I use it for charging up stuff, then running off battery. Best to bring a power strip if you have brick-style power adapters - some (I think Superliner 1) cars the plugs are recessed and blocked enough that only a straight-in plug will work. Besides, the power strip may have some helpful line filtering.

Amfleet said:
The only coaches I think to have outlets at every seat are the rare, rebuilt Superliner I Coaches.
I got one of these yesterday... each group of (2) seats had two plugs on the wall - the grounded kind with reset/test buttons. It was weird - the lower half of the walls were redone in that odd white plastic corrugated material seen in some Super 1 sleepers on the upper half of the walls.

Worked great for charging my cell phone!

One of the things about the outlets on the older generations of cars (unrefurbed Amfleets, Horizons, SI's, and even SII's) is that the cars were designed and built years ago before people had all the electronic gizmos we have today. The reason for the outlets was so that the coach cleaners could use vaccum cleaners, and that's about it. :lol: But now that we live in an electronic age outlets are becoming easier to find, even in the cab of Locomotives. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back