P-40's all being taken out of service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battalion51

Engineer
As some of you might have notices on Geoff's Rail Note's website all of the Auto Train P-40's have been transferred to a new pool (OL) based in New Orleans. It was my first thought that they'd still run AT but be maintained primarily out of New Orleans (makes sense right?). Well why would Amtrak do anything that makes sense. Most of the engines have found their way to the yard at New Orleans diesel shops where they sit. It appears that Amtrak will be mothballing these units, but to a lesser degree than what most P-40's recieved. It seems like they will be holding the units in reserve to be activated when a power shortage occurs. Auto Train has already started using NOL based IC units as its primary power in recent weeks. It's a shame to me that such reliable units like the AT P-40's, which were recently overhauled, and in immaculate condition are going to sit in a yard wasting away. Amtrak really needs to start selling or leasing some of these engines out.

8 P-40's are to be leased to Connecticut department of transportation for shoreline east service.

Talked to CMO of Metro North today and info was MNCR/CDOT turned down the P40's in Delaware and went for the P40's in Florida/or New Orleans.

Not really surprising. The 40's in Delaware have been sitting around for a while and aren't in the best shape ever. Meanwhile the Auto Train 40;s have been overhauled within the past year and a half and have been kept in excellent condition by the boys in Sanford.

What was the original reason for using P-40s on the Auto Train? I thought it had something to do with braking.

Jon

Indeed. The P-40's don't use electric braking (except for the 809) which makes it easier to handle a big train like Auto Train. The Independent brake is also setup differently, the AT guys heavily use the Independent for slowing through curves.

Are you sure about using independent brake ?? I thought the P40's were set up for direct release and option to bail off the Locomotive brake.

The P42's may have the Bail off feature turned off, unless in AT pool service.

OK that's my bad I was thinking of how to run the Vermonter, oops. There are two benefits to running a P-40 vs. a P-42. First the 40 uses real air with no delay when you make an application (Such as a Minimum application coming into a curve, it lets you fly into the curve). Second the gearing allows you to "power brake the hell out of the train" according to an Engineer. On a P-42 the computer may tell you that you have too much power on the train with a certain brake application. But, the P-40 will allow to have as much power on the engines as you like with whatever your brake application. For example, when coming through a curve you'll keep the train in Notch 3 or 4 with a Minimum application to slow the train through the curve, but continue to pull the train to allow a better load up once the train has exited the curve and begins to accelerate back up to track speed.

engine999 said:
How many years older are the P40's then the P42's?
The 40's were all delivered in 1993, while the first group of 42's were delivered in 1996/97 and the second group in 2000/2001.

Here are some builder plaques:

Amtrak%20P-40%20Locomotive%20834-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%2020-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%2042-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%2058-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%2098-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%20122-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%20141-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%20182-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%20201-Builders%20Plaque.jpg

There's a smattering of the build dates.

Keep in mind Alan some of these engines have been around for 11+ years, and are washed with acidic water. They're not doing too bad all things considered.

The peeling must be some sort of clear coat or other finish over the plaquest, since you can still see undisturbed lettering where it is peeling off.

Back