Pacific Surfliner Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
My wife and I flew to San Diego on Saturday in preparation for a two week cruise we leave on today. We had yesterday, Sunday, free so I had reserved round trip passage on the Pacific Surfliner from San Diego to San Juan Capistrano.

We took a bus from our hotel out on Mission Bay to the Old Town Trolley Station and transferred to a Blue Line Train to the Amtrak Station in the old Santa Fe Station downtown. We had about 1.5 hours before our train and the nice Amtrak agent suggested the Grand Central Café for breakfast. A block from the station, it had some old rail memorabilia on the walls and really good food.

Our 9:30 train left right on time for the 1 hour and 10 minute trip up the coast. Some places the track is almost right on the beach. A very nice coach car and amazingly, it was packed. A lot of military types going back to Camp Pendleton after the weekend in San Diego. We arrived in San Juan Capistrano right on time.

Our bodies were still on eastern time so we were ready for lunch. There is a very nice restaurant in the old depot. Had some great food there before heading out to explore the town. We spent several hours in the old Mission (never saw a swallow) and did some shopping (that’s how I get my wife to ride the train) before catching the 1:40 back to San Diego. It was running about 10 minutes late.

I was able talk for a while with the ticket agent in San Juan Capistrano. A lady named Linda who was one of the most pleasant Amtrak employees I have met. She seemed to really care about doing everything she could to help the passengers.

I met a number of people going both ways who were taking their first trip on a train. It was nice to be able to explain things and answer questions they had for me. Going north, one lady was connecting at LAX for Dallas. She had never been on a train and had many questions about what to expect.

People were amazed at how large the seat room was compared to planes.

Back in San Diego we rode the Trolley back to Old Town where we walked around and had a great Mexican dinner. Took the bus back to the hotel for a good nights sleep as we will board the cruise ship in the morning.

Great trip – nice weather – lots of interesting people to talk with.

Here are some pictures:

111639168-S.jpg

New Green Line Trolley

111639177-S.jpg

Blue Line Trolley

111639186-S.jpg

Trolley interior

111639198-S.jpg

Santa Fe Station

111639204-S.jpg

111639255-S.jpg

Ticket counter area

111639268-S.jpg

Santa Fe Station

111639272-S.jpg

Our train – will push going north

111639288-S.jpg

111639309-S.jpg

Coach Interior

Incredible pictures, you may have seen my daughter she is now using the train from Fullerton to ?? and Back for work. Got her and the Granddaughter hooked.

Great pictures! Several of those are almost identical to the pictures I took when my wife and I were out there last July. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Surfliner. CA certainly has a lot of things going for it when if comes to rail travel. Thanks for sharing!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back