Passenger Miles Per Train Mile Metric

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... The 1990 reroute together with certain, shall we say, prejudices at Amtrak HQ, did the BL in. They tried mightily to kill the BA at that time, which remains unexplained to me. We fought hard. But Amtrak is Amtrak. they'll just do whatever random thing they and their paymasters come up with.
The CL goes through West Virginia. The BL didn't. The CL got preferential treatment. Coincidence? I think not. To a lesser degree, Byrd Crap.

These are my calculations based on NARP's 2016 statistics. See notes in file.

As said before, these are not dependent on ridership because the longer distance the more potential passengers and passenger miles but more train miles.

Of the non Auto Train LD trains whose PM/TM was over 180, three are Eastern (SM, LSL, CL) and two are Western (CS, SWC).

I also listed miles per passenger for each LD train.

If you see any errors, please let me know.

I am totally shocked who is on the bottom!

Passenger Miles Per Train Mile 2016.pdf

Attachments

• Passenger Miles Per Train Mile 2016.pdf
    200.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
I am totally shocked who is on the bottom!
I note that the Cardinal and the Sunset Limited (east of San Antonio) regularly operate with significantly shorter consists (hence less potential capacity) than most other long-distance Amtrak trains.
Why do these specific trains have shorter consists/fewer cars? Could it be because demand is low? Amtrak doesn't have enough cars to satisfy all of its demand. It's obvious more popular trains are going to get more cars but then the question becomes how much more. If we have an extra sleeper car, which would be more likely to fill, a fourth LSL sleeper or a second Cardinal sleeper?

Why do these specific trains have shorter consists/fewer cars? Could it be because demand is low? Amtrak doesn't have enough cars to satisfy all of its demand. It's obvious more popular trains are going to get more cars but then the question becomes how much more. If we have an extra sleeper car, which would be more likely to fill, a fourth LSL sleeper or a second Cardinal sleeper?
I would venture the opinion that a 3-day-a-week train is not a realistic transportation option in the minds of most normal people. As long as you have at least one-a-day, even if that "one" is at 4 in the morning, you can be aware of it and plan around it. But when you have to go from there to asking, "Does it run today at all? No? Then, when...Tuesday?" I would say that your train's general utility has dropped by a factor of at least ten.

This is pure speculation but the lengths of consists may be revenue driven. If my Amfleet can carry 60 people WASH <> NYP at $100.00 per passenger. That is $6,000 for a four hour trip. Same Amfleet on Crescent may take 12 hours 6 WASH <> ATL to get $6,000 ? ~678 miles. Now if Amtrak is equipment short then the WASH <> NYP would appear better since it could make a return trip in less than 10 hours.

The Meteor is reported to have the highest sleeper revenue per mile so that may be why it is first to get an extra sleeper ?

... The 1990 reroute together ... did the BL in. They tried mightily to kill the BA at that time, which remains unexplained to me.
... is the BA some kind of ghost train, cuz I don't just know what you mean by BA.
Engage brain for a moment and figure out what it could be a typo for :p If you can't figure it out, probably it doesn't matter ;)
I've assumed from the first that you meant to type BL. What left me confused was "which remains unexplained to me." I thought, 'How can jis have never heard even plausible speculation as to why "they" tried mightily to kill the BL, so maybe he's talking about a whole different train.'

Of course, it could be that in my early stage dementia, I'm more and more literal minded. Nowadays my brain just doesn't deal very well with gaps or anomalies in information. :(

So it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the CL had been assigned to the B&O route and the BL to the NYC route, then my bet is that CL's performance would have been way worse than BL's on the B&O route. As it is CL's performance on the more favorable route isn't exactly stellar. So yeah, I agree. The 1990 reroute together with certain, shall we say, prejudices at Amtrak HQ, did the BL in. They tried mightily to kill the BA at that time, which remains unexplained to me. We fought hard. But Amtrak is Amtrak. they'll just do whatever random thing they and their paymasters come up with.
CL vs. BL. One goes through West Virginia, one doesn't. Which one do you think Congress (Byrd) would favor?

Why exactly was the CL even started? The BL reasonably served WAS and also BAL to CHI since A-Day, why change it and take away the one seat ride between CHI and BAL? To save a couple of hours between CHI and WAS? Or to replace the Shenendoah?

I forgot to include the mileage for business class in the Palmetto (probably because it isn't sleeper service) so the file is now updated. Woody thought he saw a typo which turned out not to be a typo but after checking I found this error so TY. Fun fact: The distance of the Coast Starlight and the Crescent are exactly the same (1,377 miles)!

Passenger Miles Per Train Mile 2016.pdf

Attachments

• Passenger Miles Per Train Mile 2016.pdf
    213.2 KB · Views: 5
Your point of Starlight and Crescent has merit. Of course 3 or 4 sleepers on Starlight makes some difference. + more coach space using Superliners. Crescent's lack of traffic south of Atlanta is another. Though Starlight has more PM/TM the passengers do not go as far so much more turnover. Maybe Starlight's trip during daytime thru California vs. Crescent's daytime south of Atlanta ?

Back