Peanuts served on board?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ryan

Hi, traveling cross-country is pretty hard for me since I am very allergic to peanuts. Of course, 95% of all airlines are out since they hand out free bags of peanuts to all the passengers. The peanut dust gets concentrated in the recirculated air and causes me all sorts of problems.

I just started to consider Amtrak for moving myself long distances, and I, having never ridden a train, am not really clear on what the food situation is on board. Do the attendants hand out bags of peanuts like on an airplane? Is it OK to take my own food? Does anyone have any other advice for my situation? Also, what is the general cleanliness level of the trains?

Thanks for the help!

Ryan,

I thought that most major airlines had stopped handing out peanuts for that very reason.

Nonetheless with one exception, First Class on the Acela Express, Amtrak does not hand out peanuts or any type of nut on board its trains. I do think that one can buy peanuts in the lounge car.

Additionally recirculated air is not a problem on Amtrak and you have the luxury of walking around the train and heading to the dining car and/or the cafe car.

Yes you can bring your own food on board, but there are a few rules. One you must eat your food at your own seat. You cannot bring it to the lounge/cafe car to eat. Two, Amtrak for health reasons, cannot refrigerate or heat your food for you. So bring non-perishable stuff.

General cleanliness can vary from train to train. There are many factors involved; from how late did the train arrive at its end point, the attendant working the car, and the passengers themselves. On a two day trip, if the passengers expect that a maid is going to clean up after them, then things can get messy. Many people are courteous, but all it takes is one bad apple.

AlanB said:
I thought that most major airlines had stopped handing out peanuts for that very reason.
Yep, I think peanuts are pretty much gone from the skies as well. I have seen only pretzels in recent years (in coach), but I guess it would depend on the airline.

Southwest still has peanuts, but Pretzels are more common these days. US Airways tried a packaged snack with cheese, crackers, and a nutri-grain bar, but I haven't seen them in about two years.

In business or first class, most airlines will serve a variety of nuts heated in a small dish. Otherwise, the old 'toss you a bag of peanuts' is pretty well gone

Eating in the dining car is one of the basic pleasures of train travel. Real food, real plates, real tables, etc. For logistical reasons you will probably be seated with strangers. Do not worry about that--it usually works out quite well, you often enjoy meeting new, sometimes-interesting people.

If you are in sleeper, meals are included in the price.

If in coach, then you pay extra for the meals, usually about 5 entrees for dinner, fewer for lunch and several basic meals for breakfast.

Less expensive is the food in the lounge car. For a really long trip, esp,. if in coach, you might vary between the lounge car and the dining car.

Actually, some of the food in the lounge car can be treated as a snack as well as a meal.

I don't believe you said exactly where your trip would be but the long distance trains to western destinations have double deck equipment (called "superliners") and much of what you do will be upstairs, esp to view while eating in the diner and hanging around in the sightseer lounge.

Since I get to sample the leftovers, I can highly recommend alot of the choices on the lounge car! :D

The food has improved 100% in the last year. Ever since Amtrak started the rotating food schedules last year, I have been amazed with the choices and the taste is unreal!! :eek:

Somethings ARE improving!! :eek:

Miami Joe B)

Anthony said:
AlanB said:
Yep, I think peanuts are pretty much gone from the skies as well. I have seen only pretzels in recent years (in coach), but I guess it would depend on the airline.
PEANUTS!!!!!!

Everyone knows that peanuts do not bio-degrade.

As a former aircraft mechanic, I spent many a day removing peanuts from the seat tracks of commercial airplanes.

They finally wised up!

Anthony said:
AlanB said:
Many airlines (Delta, for example) hand out bags of the "trail mix" snacks now, but these sometime contain peanuts as well.

Miami Joe said:
Since I get to sample the leftovers, I can highly recommend alot of the choices on the lounge car! :D
 The food has improved 100% in the last year. Ever since Amtrak started the rotating food schedules last year, I have been amazed with the choices and the taste is unreal!!   :eek:

Miami Joe B)
I agree. Recently, I have had wonderful lamb schanks and tasty chicken breast stuffed with goat's cheese, to say nothing of yummy delmonico steak! :lol:

The special on the Chief the other night was chicken (or possibly turkey) stuffed with brie and apple - I wish I had ordered that, but I didn't think to ask about the special until my order was already in the kitchen. :(

About the lounge - I have not had much luck with either style of "breakfast sandwich" offered. If you have a sensitive stomach, avoid both kinds. :blink:

As someone said, Southwest still serves those yummy honey roasted peanuts. The air recirculates well on Amtrak, and I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Chatter163 said:
Miami Joe said:
 The food has improved 100% in the last year. Ever since Amtrak started the rotating food schedules last year, I have been amazed with the choices and the taste is unreal!!   :eek:

Miami Joe B)
I agree. Recently, I have had wonderful lamb schanks and tasty chicken breast stuffed with goat's cheese, to say nothing of yummy delmonico steak! :lol:
Aloha

I can't see 100% improvement. I have never had a bad meal from the dinner, some were great and others incredable.

Mahalo to the cooks and servers!!!!

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back