Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here we go, what is the difference between NY Penn Station and Newark Penn Station. I have seen them both listed and not sure if they are different or not. The reason I ask is that we change trains at NY Penn and with my luck we will miss the right stop.

Thanks

Not trying to be funny, but the difference is that New York Penn Station is in New York, NY (Manhattan) and Newark Penn Station is in Newark, NJ. These are two separate cities located about 10 miles apart. The connecting station you want is New York Penn Station.

Factoid: About 6 out of every 10 passengers riding Amtrak each day either begin or end their trips at New York Penn Station.

As PRR60 mentioned, the two stations are indeed very different. However, even if you did somehow miss NY's Penn station, you could still make the switch at Newark's Penn station. NY however is a much nicer station to wait at.

Now just to help make sure that you don't miss it. First off, I'm sure that the conductor will make an announcement prior to arrival. Second, NY Penn comes first as you travel south, with Newark being the second.

Finally a few warning signs. About 10 minutes before you are due into NY's Penn station, you will find yourself on a very large bridge. Off to the right of the trains forward motion, you will have a wonderful view of Manhattan.

About 5 minutes later the train will go into a tunnel under the East River, before emerging into NY Penn Station. This station is huge and you will see multiple trains on many different tracks. This is the only tunnel on the run from the Boston area to NY.

Once you are upstairs in the station you can find plenty of places to eat. There is also a special waiting area for Amtrak passengers, where you can find seats to relax on while waiting for your next train.

And of course the obvious reasons. Size and history.

The famous, large, Penn Station in New York City, New York is one of the great stations in the United States. With a plethora of tracks (not sure of the exact count, but I know that there are platforms on more then 22 tracks).

AMTRAK-P42 said:
The famous, large, Penn Station in New York City, New York is one of the great stations in the United States. With a plethora of tracks (not sure of the exact count, but I know that there are platforms on more then 22 tracks).
As Maxwell Smart would say, "missed it by just that much". :lol:

Penn Station has 21 tracks total. :)

Thanks for this info. I was going to start off with "this is probably a stupid question but", but I would then hear there are no stupid questions.

Again, thanks for the answers.

There are atleast three, if not more, Penn Stations on the Northeast Corridor. There's New York, Newark, and Baltimore. I believe the reason these were all named Penn Stations was that they were served mainly by and owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad.

My answer would have been at least 15 tracks and the station being fully enclosed. Yes there are 21 tracks at NYP, but according to a diagram I've seen there is and I don't know if it's still there a platform that was used by the GPO for loading and unloading mail accessable only from the GPO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back