Phase VI Program Continues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
Amtrak is using a new process which costs less and can be done faster for repainting the cars, particularlly the Superliners. Look for more Phase VI Superliners appearing. For the story from NCI's Destination freedom, click here.

Finally, this will be a thing of the past.

ek_2-2.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of VI on the Superliners. But stndardiztion is key. Guess I'll have to make a few more trips to Sanford to get some IV pictures while they're still in fashion.

I am with Battalion, phase VI doesnt do much (or Phase IVb, whatever ya wanna call it) for me. I liked the phase IV he best, I like the Superliner lettering across the car. Without that the car looks too bland. But like Battalion said, standardization is the key. A train of all VIs will look better to passengers to mix and matched consists with IV cars with Phase III showin.

The only thing I wish is that they would finish the job on the single level fleet with the Diners, Baggage cars, Dorms, and Sleepers.

battalion51 said:
The only thing I wish is that they would finish the job on the single level fleet with the Diners, Baggage cars, Dorms, and Sleepers.
Id have to agree. Although, I thought the SUPERLINER paint was nice, im also not a big fan of the phase VI.

To be honest, I like the Superliners in IV as well, if it were up to me VI would just replace the word Amtrak with the logo. The Single Level Cars are ok, but I don't like the size of the numbers. But you know me Phase III all the way!

I don't mind it, I mean the "Superliner" below the window band was nice and gave the cars character. However, 10 years later it is time for change. When you think about it, Phase III lasted about the same amount of time. Atleast on the Superliners.

I just didn't like how you can see the remnants of Phase IV against the new Phase IVb on the 15 Superliners BG out shopped. Maybe this new water thingy will also help speed up the Viewliner and Heritage re-painting process. Wonder if it could even get the gray paint off some of those crew dorms, exposing the beauty of stainless steel once more.

I think the different letter and number fonts on the Phase IVb Heritage cars kind of give it a classic look.

I had a horrible peeling superliner this summer on the zephyr, almost half of the original phase III could be seen clearly. Much like your photo, except much worse.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I had a horrible peeling superliner this summer on the zephyr, almost half of the original phase III could be seen clearly. Much like your photo, except much worse.
Not my photo, I think it's tp-49's, but I did see several Superliners in Chicago and on the CL where about 15- 25% of the Phase III stripes were showing through in various spots. Looked crapy nonetheless.

I have to agree that the phase IV superliners look better with the font under the windows then the VI. I do feel that standardization is better for tha amtrak image, and having the large logo on the side dose help. I would like to see the east coast trains in all one phase, which probably will be a while. Has anyone seen the image on the national timetable, it appears to be purposely taken so only the two superliners with VI paint show along with the shamu paint on the p42's.

engine999 said:
I have to agree that the phase IV superliners look better with the font under the windows then the VI. I do feel that standardization is better for tha amtrak image, and having the large logo on the side dose help. I would like to see the east coast trains in all one phase, which probably will be a while. Has anyone seen the image on the national timetable, it appears to be purposely taken so only the two superliners with VI paint show along with the shamu paint on the p42's.
The publication photos are just digitaly altered. While the east coast trains may not all be in one phase, they are most likely in either IV or IVb. Which is much more consistant than III and IV.

28016. Saw it on the 30th of December, it was deadheading up front on 97 coming to Hialeah from Washington.

Amfleet said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Not my photo, I think it's tp-49's, but I did see several Superliners in Chicago and on the CL where about 15- 25% of the Phase III stripes were showing through in various spots. Looked crapy nonetheless.
Yep hard to believe I took that pic a little over a year ago, but it is mine, and that was of the California Zephyr #6 at SAC. B) :D

This is the only big forum I see it referring it as Phase VI, whereas everywhere else refers it as Phase IVb.

I'm a Phase IVb guy, since it really isn't a brand new phase, just a revised IV.

F40PHR231 said:
This is the only big forum I see it referring it as Phase VI, whereas everywhere else refers it as Phase IVb.
I'm a Phase IVb guy, since it really isn't a brand new phase, just a revised IV.
Still the problem with that logic is phase II was a revised phase I (minus the arrow), so are you saying Phase II should be phase Ib? Seriously though, since its "officially" called VI, that's why I generally (occasionally I call it IVB though) call it VI.

To me it's only worthy of a b when its a deviation from the Original scheme. For example when Phase V changed from the High Stripe to the low stripe, that's worthy of a b since it's the same overall design, just with a deviation from the original. But since this is a completely new scheme it's VI in my mind.

battalion51 said:
To me it's only worthy of a b when its a deviation from the Original scheme. For example when Phase V changed from the High Stripe to the low stripe, that's worthy of a b since it's the same overall design, just with a deviation from the original. But since this is a completely new scheme it's VI in my mind.
Really, there is no official guideline to the phases, since it would not be consistent with what we say today. I consider it Phase IVb because it's simply Phase IV, with the lettering relocated, and the red stripe added.

That's extremely similar to the revision done to Phase V, remove some Amtrak logos, and lower the stripe. It's not like they had a committee that sat down and developed a brilliantly brand new idea.

To make the Superliners compatible with the Phase V locos, ONLY the red stripe was added. Sounds like a revised version to me! If they'd done something new with those Phase IV pinstripes, then that would warrant as a new paint scheme.

Think of it this way... The Superliers have both Phase IV, and Phase V, so what's in between? Phase IV and a half? Phase IVb sounds simple enough. Wanna get extremely technical, this would be Phase 18 or something considering how many schemes Amtrak's gone through.

Here's the difference though. The three waves Amtrak logo was added, font, size, and location of the numbers have changed. The word SUPERLINER is not written across the side of the car. And last but certainly not least, there is a variation in color between original phase IV and VI. The new color has a little more green in it, thus making it (in my mind) VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back