Phase VI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I've made a small discovery about the Phase VI paint scheme. Take a look at these two photos and compare the two.
amt_sleeper_gmpullman_atchicago.jpg
ek_1-2.jpg
Notice the similarity between the two cars.

Viewliner said:
The size of the lettering.
Are you saying that the size of the "Superliner" lettering on the Phase VI is the same as the lettering on the blue stripe in the Phase III? It does look like it, but the Phase III lettering appears to be normal, while the Phase VI lettering is italicized.

Steve4031 said:
Are they both the George M. Pullman?
Steve,

No, they're not the same car. The George M. Pullman is still in Phase IV paint, and is car number 32009. As a matter of fact, there's a post on another bulletin board that shows 32009 set out in Cleveland, OH, due to mechanical problems. That's probably where Viewliner got the picture of 32009 in Phase III paint.

Guys, thats what battalion told me. I think its in terms of the size of the "Sleeping Car" on the top photo and "Superliner" on the bottom.

By the way its in Phase II Paint, not Phase III.

bhaithcoatsuperlineriphaseiiisleeper.jpg

The Sleeper in the foreground it III. Note the Even Red, White and Blue Strips, and Amtrak is black.

It ain't Phase VI!

If you wanna call it Phase VI, then that is not consistent with the normal practices of Phases. Surfliner, Acela, those Phase IV units with the dark grey nose instead of lite, Florida Fun Train, the lava lamp/booger paint scheme on the NEC... Add those all up, the new scheme is technically Phase XVIII

Phase VI is just misleading

It ain't Phase VI!
If you wanna call it Phase VI, then that is not consistent with the normal practices of Phases. Surfliner, Acela, those Phase IV units with the dark grey nose instead of lite, Florida Fun Train, the lava lamp/booger paint scheme on the NEC... Add those all up, the new scheme is technically Phase XVIII

Phase VI is just misleading
I base my phases on the national system, not reigonal paint schemes. While FFT, Surfliners, San Jaoquin, and all those other services fall under the Amtrak name, their paint schemes are not a part of the national system. When every car in Amtrak's system is going to recieve a particular scheme, it is the worthy of a number in my book. Now as for phase V, I consider both the locomotives in V, as well as the Amfleet I's that had the scheme applied as Phase V. To me this newest scheme is VI because it represents a completely different system than that of IV. IV had large letters, the type of car by the door in large letters. While VI has smaller print a darker blue, the three waves, red safety stripe etc. In my book IVb will be those cars who have the standard IV scheme but have the red safety stripe along the bottom.

B-51, what was the comparison between the two cars?

The way you layout the paint schemes does make sense. Will the Phase IV cars that got the red safety stripe eventually receive a new paint band?

They should recieve the new scheme. My guess is that when the car went in for a 30 or 90 day inspection the stripe was added, but the car did not recieve the new scheme since it was not the 180 day inspection. The lettering, and location of the lettering was the point I was making on the Superliners.

Just out of curiousity, where is that picture from? It wouldn't be Milwaukee, would it?

tubaallen said:
Just out of curiousity, where is that picture from? It wouldn't be Milwaukee, would it?
Which One?

The First one is in Chicago

The Second one is in Sacrament0

The Last one is on the Empire Builder (Bill, Might know, its his photo)

Ah, sorry. I guess I had passed those first two pics up. So yes, I mean the last. I bet it is Milwaukee...it looks like it to me, and since you say Empire Builder, that would agree.

To me this newest scheme is VI because it represents a completely different system than that of IV.
Sure, whatever you say. It's just misleading to the popular label, IVb.

Well, maybe it should be Phase VI. Remember, back in the '70's when Phase I had the logo at both ends, but when only the logos where removed it was called Phase II. Now that Amtrak has added logos and changed the Phase IV scheme slightly, in a way it deserves the name Phase VI. But that leaves you with the P-42/40/32 "Shamus". Should they fall under Phase V or Phase VI or should the "revised" Phase IV fall under Phase V along with the "Shamus". :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back