Planning a Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Emma

A few years back my husband and I took the Southwest Chief from Flagstaff to Chicago. It was an interesting experience, to say the least. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip, delays and all. Very fun to see the small towns that rail made, and now the freeways ignore. Great food as well.

So we have decided to take another trip by rail, a bit more adventuerous. The plan is to take the Sunset Limited from Maricopa to New Orleans, overnight in New Orleans, then take The City of New Orleans to Chicago. Return on the Southwest Chief to Flagstaff.

My question is: what, if any, accomodation is made for smokers on these trains? On our last trip, the train had a smoking car, but I cannot find anything on this on the Amtrak site or in the travelogue section.

Smoking cars were eliminated as of just last April (on the trains you mentioned). There are stops that are longer than usual so you can get off and have a smoke for a few minutes.

Back