planning on a trip on the Crescent

• Thread starter Guest_shanghaiamtrak
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AMTRAK-P42 said:
The Crescent had actually not been doing that great. There was a month period, from about mid-October till Thanksgiving that I checked on the northbound every night and made a chart (thanks to excel) (The reason for this was that I was taking #20 the day after thanksgiving, and I was curious how it was doing time-wise). Anyways, during the entire period the train was only late 5 times, the latest was 2 hours and 59 minutes and the earliest was 1 hour 39 minutes. With the exception of 5 trains, the rest were early, many of which by over an hour.However, after thanksgiving something happened. For the next 25 days or so, about 5 out of every 7 days held late trains. Some 30 minutes, some 6 hours, but #20 began to average only about 2 early/on time trains per week.

Luckily, over the past couple of weeks things have been looking back to the normal. She has been averaging about 1 late train per week.

Amtrak P42, where were you checking the train? Atlanta, where you live?

Or perhaps NYC northbound, as you mention some arrivals over an hour early.

Parenthetically, I wish I could be on some of those n.b. long distance trains from the south into NYC sometime when they are an hour early. It never happens to me. Of course it would cheat me out of some time aboard the train but that would be offset at how exciitng of an accomplishment it would seem.

what are the chances that i will be able to snag a window seat in DC for my trip to atlanta? and back? and what about on a possible day trip to atlanta-birmingham?

The train gets most of its business between WAS and ATL. So, I am not sure what the chances are of getting a window seat out of WAS. But they are excellent out of ATL for BHM as much of the train thins out in ATL going south.

Bill Haithcoat said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
The Crescent had actually not been doing that great. There was a month period, from about mid-October till Thanksgiving that I checked on the northbound every night and made a chart (thanks to excel) (The reason for this was that I was taking #20 the day after thanksgiving, and I was curious how it was doing time-wise). Anyways, during the entire period the train was only late 5 times, the latest was 2 hours and 59 minutes and the earliest was 1 hour 39 minutes. With the exception of 5 trains, the rest were early, many of which by over an hour.However, after thanksgiving something happened. For the next 25 days or so, about 5 out of every 7 days held late trains. Some 30 minutes, some 6 hours, but #20 began to average only about 2 early/on time trains per week.

Luckily, over the past couple of weeks things have been looking back to the normal. She has been averaging about 1 late train per week.

Amtrak P42, where were you checking the train? Atlanta, where you live?

Or perhaps NYC northbound, as you mention some arrivals over an hour early.

Parenthetically, I wish I could be on some of those n.b. long distance trains from the south into NYC sometime when they are an hour early. It never happens to me. Of course it would cheat me out of some time aboard the train but that would be offset at how exciitng of an accomplishment it would seem.
Yea, I had been checking #20's arrivals into New York Penn.

The Crescent will pick up in early Feb, due to Mardi Gras, but other than that, it is slow.

Back