Presidential Candiates

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTK@AUS

Train Attendant
I do not want to start a pig pen or any mess like that, but I want to support the candidate that would make the best choices regarding Amtrak. Based on voting records and issues the candidates have discussed, who would have the largest positive influence on the state of passenger rail in the U.S.?

At the NARP website, they show Kerry, Edwards, and Lieberman as voting pro-Amtrak each time, which is a good sign. I could not, however, find info on Dean or Clark. (Probably because they aren't Congressmen :) )

Thanks!

As governer of Vermont, Dean was a strong supporter of Amtrak rail service in the state, and helped to allocate funds to support the Ethan Allen Express and the Vermonter. I think he is among the most pro-Amtrak of the candidates. Clark has never held elective office, and so has no record either for or against. If he does get nominated, his advisors will decide.

While Clark is way down in the polls and with everyone else pretty much pro-Amtrak, just vote democrat and we should be fine. Everyday, I'm becoming more drawn to Kerry, I think he will make a strong democratic canidate. Dean is not that bad either. I think Edwards will pick up in the polls during the southern primaries. Lieberman seems a little weak.

I agree with Jon, even though I can't vote yet, I'm drawn to Kerry, I think he has the most experience overall, and is our best shot. Dean is ok, but I don't think he'd be strong enough to beat Bush. Edwards will pick up in the polls as this is a southern vote. Lieberman is too weak to be much of an influence anymore, and I can't picture Clarks support growing significantly. Sharpton may pick up a little in the South, but... :blink:

Remember too that Amtrak didn't fare all that well under the Clinton Administration either.

You know the field of Democratic candidates is weak when they're talking about the possibility of Bush being able to win California which shouldn't happen based on the numbers of people registered in each party in this state.

Howard Dean's biggest enemy is Howard Dean , remember Michael Dukakis I surely do.

Historically speaking no sitting US Senator has won a Presidential election since JFK in 1960 the chances of a sitting US Senator winning now is very small.

John Edwards has the most upside and is the only one in the field of D's I like, however, he needs to hold an executive position in governent (i.e. be governor of North Carolina) before he will be taken seriously. If he does don't be surprised if he does something in 2008 or 2012. He also needs to tone down severely on the Class warfare theme he's too anti rich for his own good, especially since he's not exactly poor as before election to the Senate he was a very successful trial lawyer.

Edwards being so anti-rich could turn out to hurt Kerry as we all know Kerry married the wife of deceased former Senator John Heinz of PA better known as the Heinz ketchup family which I believe his wife was sole heir of.

Clark is too much of a Bush yes man to be taken seriously as there are many many sound bites where he agrees with Bush on a number of issues.

Sharpton, non-factor and he will lose much support in the South as Southerners don't take too kindly to his type of personality. He's too brash for his own good and yes many Southerner's still hold the same attitudes they did for the past 100+ years even if they don't outwardly show it. On the bright side at least Sharpton's entertaining.

Most of the "experts" believe that Bush will win this year and pave the way for a possible return to the White House of a Clinton...Hillary.

Last but not least a common misconception of the American government is that the President has the ultimate power over all issues. The answer to that is false...people should be more concerned of how Congress is comprised as that's really where all the power is. Remember too that a Democrat controlled Congress does not mean that it will be beneficial to Amtrak as they have concerns in other areas too and usually steer themselved to advocate in those arenas.

Amtrak is the kind of thing that gets generally shafted in Congress, because its only an important issue to a very few politicians, more than half of whom care about it negatively - i.e. they're trying to get rid of it. Ergo, although most congressmen (& women) are vaguely pro-Amtrak, they trade funding for it away in order to gain money for pet projects. It only gets funded because of a few representatives and senators - especially senators - who care about it. Fritz Hollings springs to mind (although he's retiring). The reason Amtrak suffers so badly is that, because it has to be reauthorized every year, whenever the government wants money for something, they can take from it, and very few politicians care enough to defend it. It's quite depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back