problems in the N.E. corridor?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
I have been keeping track day by of the on time performance of #97 the Silver Meteor into WAS and into KIS. from Sept 26 until last Friday Oct 10 it has been almost perfectly on time into both stations. All of the sudden since Sat. Oct 11 it has been arriving into WAS from NYC about 1 hour late everyday. Is there something going on (track/ bridge work) that is going on that someone may know about?

The problem appears to be getting the train out of Sunnyside Yard and into Penn Station. The Meteor has been leaving NYC about an hour late every day. I suspect servicing is being delayed for who knows what reason and the train is late right out of the gate.

Well while I can't tell you why it was late getting out of the yard, I can confirm that last night's Meteor was indeed late out of the yard.

I was riding on a LIRR train headed into Penn for a Shania Twain concert last night in MSG. As I passed the yard at about 7:30 PM, the Meteor was just pulling out of the yard and queing up for it's wait into an East River tunnel.

At that time the Meteor should have already been completing it's station work in Newark and been on it's way to Trenton, NJ. Instead it was still sitting in Queens with nary a passenger on board, much less the OBS crew.

Well there are several factors that cause a train to come late out of the yard. First there is the obvious equipment failure, this doesn't happen too often since Sunnyside categorically refuses to do anything productive. Next there's the possibility of the OBS crew arriving late into Sunnyside. The crew takes a van from their hotel in Manhattan out to Sunnyside, so traffic, a late crew member, ect. can cause late arrival into Sunnyside and consequently late departure from Sunnyside. Next problems with supplies and paperwork from the comissary canc ause problems, no food, no departure. So all these factors together can cause a train to get outta the yard late.

battalion51 said:
Next there's the possibility of the OBS crew arriving late into Sunnyside. The crew takes a van from their hotel in Manhattan out to Sunnyside, so traffic, a late crew member, ect. can cause late arrival into Sunnyside and consequently late departure from Sunnyside.
Are you sure about this? :unsure:

I've seen several OBS crews board right in Penn once the train gets into the station from Sunnyside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back