Proposed Jacksonville Commuter service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
The so called First Coast Commuter proposal connecting Jacksonville to St. Augustine along FECR is making slow progress

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/43572ee892264d9aa1df6dc1c72e6a24
It will use a new station built close to the location of the original Jacksonville Terminal station around Prime Osborne Convention Center in the LaVilla neighborhood. That could open up the possibility of Amtrak using the same station, even though it will involve a short backup move departing the station southbound, and arriving at the station northbound.

The so called First Coast Commuter proposal connecting Jacksonville to St. Augustine along FECR is making slow progress

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/43572ee892264d9aa1df6dc1c72e6a24
It will use a new station built close to the location of the original Jacksonville Terminal station around Prime Osborne Convention Center in the LaVilla neighborhood. That could open up the possibility of Amtrak using the same station, even though it will involve a short backup move departing the station southbound, and arriving at the station northbound.
jis: With respect, and I am really serious now: Do you really believe in your heart, mind, and soul that Amtrak would ever consider using this station that is steps away from that wonderful Jacksonville Terminal Station. Spent many wonderful times in Jacksonville Terminal in the late 1960's. By the time I moved from CA to FL in 1976, Clifford Lane had become the JAX Amtrak station. As I have posted before, I moved from FL to GA in 1998, so have lost touch with the passenger rail developments and focus in Florida

jis: With respect, and I am really serious now: Do you really believe in your heart, mind, and soul that Amtrak would ever consider using this station that is steps away from that wonderful Jacksonville Terminal Station. Spent many wonderful times in Jacksonville Terminal in the late 1960's. By the time I moved from CA to FL in 1976, Clifford Lane had become the JAX Amtrak station. As I have posted before, I moved from FL to GA in 1998, so have lost touch with the passenger rail developments and focus in Florida
Well, Amtrak is yet to move to the MIC in Miami. Who knows what they'll do. But frankly there are many things that need to happen before we get to that point.

As far as I can tell, one thing that is becoming quite clear is that both Brightline (when it gets to JAX) and First Coast Commuter (if and when it happens) will use a facility in the vicinity of the Osborne Center in La Villa. What Amtrak will do or not is anyone's guess.

Back