question about getting a sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
Hi all,

In October, I'm considering the North American Pass. I've just got a couple of questions.

If I want to upgrade to standard sleeper, particularly on the superliners, should I try a day or two before boarding with the 800 number, or deal with conductors on the same day?

What are some discounts I can expect in mid october to mid november?

Lastly, is the City of New Orleans a particularly nice ride? Anything special about it?

Thanks for your help!

Scott

Concerning the City of New Orleans. In my opinion it is not a very nice ride. You will see a lot of swamps. The ride is very rough but there was a lot of work being done on the tracks last June in the area of the accident.

Actually I rather enjoyed traveling through the bayou's of Louisiana, in particular I loved the moss covered trees and bodies of water. After that though I didn't feel that the route was particularly scenic. Of course I was traveling north during the winter months, so the day was pretty short.

As for when to upgrade, price wise your best bet is to do it as soon as you get your pass or wait until you are on the train. Trying to upgrade a day or two before will ensure that you pay more. Prices rise as the rooms sell, so waiting until the last minute usually means paying more.

Once on board though, the rules change and the price drops back down some. This of course assumes that the sleepers aren't sold out.

thanks, guys. Good advice about the pass, Alan.

I like swamps, but not sure an hour or two of swamps is worth the ride. I might just take 3 rivers over to chicago and then the chief to LA.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back