Question about new schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I noticed that the schedule for the California Zephyr has changed by a few minutes. Is this a seasonal thing that will revert back in the next schedule. My tickets for next June have a time on it. Should I assume that it is an estimate and check the next schedule to see if it changed again?

Do by all means double check. It is said that Amtrak and or your travel agency will try to notify you of schedule changes but do not count on it.

Schedules were changed on me once. Though as carefully as I keep up with schedules, one slipped by me, and I would missed my train had I not found out at the last minute. The travel agency and Amtrak each played the "blame each other" game when I tried to find out why nobody notifed me. So.....be careful.

I have noticed that in some instances Amtrak is very good about notifying customers of those changes. However, one other good thing is that members of this forum are right on top of any and all schedule changes so if Amtrak doesn't say anything someone here definitely will.

Customers whose reservations have been booked and/or ticketed by travel agents are supposed to be notified about schedule-changes and other service disruptions by the travel agent. Amtrak notifies the travel agencies of schedule changes using an electronic messaging system. It is incumbant on the travel agent to review those messages and take appropriate action.

Most Amtrak reservations that are made through travel agents do not contain any contact information for the passenger -- only the travel agency's phone number is listed within the record.

The only time Amtrak really notifies passengers is when it's a major change (of 15 minutes more really). If it's a minute or two, why waste the time? Especially since you're supposed to be there 30 minutes ahead of time. I always am when I'm travelling long distance (if it's a railfan day I only need ten minutes). Although I have gotten to the station while the train was there, glad I didn't get a speeding ticket! :D

Although Amtrak tries to contact everyone who is affected by a schedule change, foul-ups happen. Amtrak is constantly tweaking schedules, so next June's California Zephyr may well run at different time than now.

Just to be sure, I would go to the Amtrak web site a week or so ahead of your trip. Do not look at the “Printable Schedules.” Instead, go to the reservations area and start the booking process for the trip you are taking. Enter you origin city, your destination, and your date and time of departure. The display showing the trains and times is from the current Amtrak reservation system and will give you the up-to-date time for your train. Or, you could go the low-tech route and call Amtrak and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back