question about time of year to do pass

• Thread starter Guest_sutton8596
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_sutton8596

HI guys,

Some months ago, I inquired as to the better time of year to do the North America Pass, October or April. Most agreed that October was better. Well, I may not be able to, and have to go sometime February-May. Of course I'll miss the Autumn colors, but most important to me now is that I miss the rains! My route is as follows: New York to Toronto, then Toronto to Vancouver, down to LA on the CS, SW Chief to Chicago; CONO to New Orleans, The Crescent to DC; probably the Cardinal to Chicago, and then back to Omaha. Any advice on which month? Obviously Canada will be freezing in winter, but I don't plan to spend much time there. Other than that, would you go for February, March, April or May?

Thanks!

scott

I'm going to say that if you want to beat the vacation crowds go in February or March (especially on a train like the Canadian which can have 7 cars in the winter, but 20 cars come summer). I also think the Canadian rockies will be really nice in the winter with all the snow.

End of March and into April is generally when Amtrak gets the heavy rush of Spring Breakers. I personally would shoot for Feb or beginning of March.

Thanks, Battalion and Amfleet,

Anyway, most of the southern US shouldn't be cold, and as you say, the Rockies would look beautiful. Thanks again,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back