Question - ticket validity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paco

OK, I bought a San Antonio-Chicago coach ticket for a day in December, but I think I might leave the day after. Is the coach ticket valid the day after, or do I have to return that ticket and get another one?

Which brings me to the question: often I travel from Bloomington-Normal, IL to Chicago on Friday evenings, and the fare is more expensive. If the tickets are valid anytime within the validity frame, couldn't I just buy a bunch of, say, Tuesday tickets and use them on Fridays?

The trains you are riding are reserved trains. Therefore you need to change your reservation and exchange the tickets. The fares for travel on Friday night is higher due to a higher demand than in other time periods.

This kinda depends on your conductor. If the train is not expected to be busy, they may let it slide a time or two (without making a habit). But your taking a chance on missing the train if the conductor were to refuse you on the platform. Play it safe, and stay "kosher" so to say, and change/make the reservation (and ticket if necessary) to the dates you will actually travel at all times. This way your name and other info is included the train's manifest which might be (would be actually) important in the event of an emergancy! OBS...

Back