Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were looking to take are kids on a short amtrak ride from Osceola to Mount Pleasant or some place to see what it would be like traveling on an amtrak train. I was wanting to learn more about the meals offered if at all, what does the reserve seating mean, LL, etc. when booking on the amtrak. Where is the best place to find this information. We really don't have anything planned just wanted to enjoy the ride the first time to see. We live in Iowa. Does anyone have a better suggestion on destinations. (Were talking 3 kids so a lengthy travel is not advised right at this time if you know what I mean.) Any suggestions welcome as I have never been on a train myself. Thanks

Sassy :blink:

Reserved coach and Lower Level seating or very similar. The only difference is the Lowerlevel coach seats are on the lowe level of a superliner car. They are more secluded but closer to the restrooms. Amtrak will sell the LL's as regular coach seats if the regular ones sell out. Usually if you get LL's though you will be there.

Go to Amtrak Web Site for most of your answers.

Meals in the dining car can cost anywhere from $5 to $20 per person. The snack bar offers sandwitches at a lower cost. Reserved coach means that you are assigned a seat. Unreserved is first come first served. Lower and upper level refers to Superliners. When making reservations choose upper or lower as desired. Bathrooms are on the lower level.

You are considered first class if you book a sleeper. Meals in the dining car are included for first class.

sassymahoney- I live in Des Moines and have taken Amtrak both E and W out of Osceola. It is a nice little station that really gives you the feel of taking a train back when that was really the way to go. E to Mt. Pleasant would be nice, or even to Galesburg, IL where you could catch the WB train back to Osceola. Galesburg also has a nice station which is right downtown so you could walk around before your return trip. This route has nice scenery (at least for IA) of rolling hills. If you go all the way to Galesburg you will get to go over the Mississippi river bridge which is neat. You would want to get just reserved coach for a short trip like this, which means you would have reserved seats but also be able to wander around some of the train and check out the lounge car. You could eat lunch in the dining car or just get a snack in the lounge car. The only concern is if the train is running late (which is fairly common) you would want to be sure that you would be able to get off in time to catch the WB train and get back home OK. If you aren't quite this ambitious yet- try the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad for a shorter trip with nice scenery. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back