Questions from a new traveler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I guess I should have asked the questions before I booked an Amtrak Vacation, but here they are:

What is the advantage/disadvantage to LL or UL reserved coach?

Is it safe to leave things, suchas laptop, cd player, etc. by your seat when going to dinner or to another car?

What type of restroom facilities are available to coach passengers?

Are the coach seats reasonably comfortable? (as compared with tour bus motor coaches)

I'm traveling from Phila to Chicago on train #41 and from Chicago to Flagstaff on #3.

Thanks for any information. This is something I've always wanted to do and I'd like to be able to say I did it.

Janie :)

On train #3, the Southwest Chief, you will be accommodated in a Superliner Coach. Superliners are bi-level cars which seating is located on both the upper and lower levels of the car. While you enter the train on the lower level you will access the rest of the train (Diner and Lounge cars) via the upper level.

“UL” stands for upper level seating and “LL” stands for lower level seating. The upper-level is the main seating area with about 60 seats, while the lower level holds only 12 seats. Half of the lower level is equipped with restrooms while the other half has an enclosed seating area intended for passengers with special needs (for instance elderly and those who need close access to restrooms or are unable to climb stairs to the upper level). I recommend the upper level seating for the better view and easy access to the rest of the train. The lower level is kind of grim and it’s a bit noisy since you are closer to the trucks (train wheels) and the rails.

There are 5 restrooms on the lower level; 3 restrooms are small airplane type facilities, 1 restroom is specially equipped for handicapped needs, and the other restroom has a vanity area as well as an enclosed toilet usually intended for female passengers only. The coach seats are extremely comfortable, much more from your standard airline or bus coach seat. The seats are large, plush, and recline way back. Each seat has an individual reading lamp, tray table, footrest, extendable leg/calf rest, and lots of legroom.

I have never or heard of any problems with people leaving laptops or CD players at their seat. However, don’t just leave them sitting around while visiting other parts of the train. Make sure the items are put in there proper cases and stowed in another suitcase or where not visible. Under the seat in front of you or in the overhead luggage rack is usually a safe place. If you are worried you can always bring these items with you to the lounge and just keep them by your side. Again, I never heard of any problems regarding this.

Now regarding train #41, the Three Rivers, which you will be taking to Chicago. This train is a single-level train meaning all coach seats and restroom facilities are on one level. The seating is set up as and has the same features as on a Superliner, but there are only two restrooms per car. Both are of a good size, one is specially equipped for handicap use. In fact I will be on this train next week, so you will be able to find more detail on this train in my trip report when I return. Best of luck with your trip and I hope everything works out. :)

I would think that the UL coach would have much more foot traffic, especially if it is the car next to the lounge. All coach traffic will pass down the isle. When I was on the CONO the sleepers were behind the coaches which were behind the lounge and diner. All traffic, including sleeper, would pass through the coach.

The LL coach would not have all the traffic. I stayed in a LL sleeper and I was not disturbed by any extra truck noise.

It is up to you to weigh advantages and disadvantages of either.

Thanks for the answers and the suggestions.

When I inquired about choice of UL/LL with the Amtrak agent I was told the choice is first come first serve. Aren't reserved seats given any special seating or do you just jump in any seat that is empty?

Another question, when you are in a seat is it "yours" the entire trip or can someone else "take" it when you are away from it?

I know these may seem like silly questions but I would feel more comfortable with the knowledge before I board the train. Thanks

Janie

The times we've ridden coach, we were told which cae to enter and which seats to take. Destination cards are then put above your seats by the luggage rack so the attendent can keep track of all the passengers and where they get off. I don't think anyone can take your seat. Just leave your carryon in the seat. Spot

Just to clarify things a bit, if you book a LL seat, then you will indeed receive a LL seat on the train. However should all the LL seats be sold out, something that probably doesn't happen often, then you would have no choice but to request a regular seat when you make your reservation.

If you book a regular seat then you would most likely end up on the upper level, however if the train is close to capacity, you could find yourself on the lower level. This is what I think the agent meant by first come/first served.

No specific seat or car numbers however are assigned, unlike an airplane, at the time of booking. When you arrive at trackside, the attendants will direct you to a specific car based upon your destination. They will also assign you a seat # at that time and in the correct area LL if that's what you booked.

Since everyone is assigned a specific seat, no one should take your seat. However there are occasions where a passenger may not like the seat that they were assigned and decide to move themselves without permission. So if you're not boarding at an endpoint station, it is possible to find someone in your seat.

If that happens, just return to the attendant and he will either make them move or give you a new seat. No one however should take you seat once you've been assigned them, but as suggested leave something like a coat or a book in your seat, just to indicate occupancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back