Questions Raised on Signals at Rail Crossings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why dont you cut and paste the article? many of us dont want to or have the time to register for the ny times.

Guest_shanghaiamtrak said:
why dont you cut and paste the article? many of us dont want to or have the time to register for the ny times.
Because we won't allow anyone to do that. There are copyright issues with copying entire articles.

Sorry. :(

This is a plugin for FireFox called 'bug me not' that will fill in all the most popular news sites for you.

Hmm sounds like a small problem that should be looked at. Makes me want to look more carefully down the tracks when I come to a rail grade crossing. (I do anyways, many times just to watch.

Can anyone explain in better detail how signals work? I've always wondered that.

Chris

Basically the way it works is there is a small electrical charge running through the rails, when the equipment for the crossing detects a train it calculates its speed and distance. It uses this information to light up the gates, warning signals, etc.

Back