Questions regarding Empire Bldr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Hi,

When taking the Empire Builder from West to East is there any benefit to starting from either Portland or Seattle. We are going to do the entire trip to Chicago and are trying to figure out how the route works. I see it splits at Spokane (or in the West to East joins together) any benefit in starting in Seattle or Portland?

Also, I think we are going to get off the train for a couple of days at Glacier NP. I have researched the Izaak Walton Inn at Essex, and the Glacier NP Lodge at East Glacier. Does anyone have any experience with either of these stops that can tell me thumbs up or down?

Thanks so much! C.J.

Admittedly, I'm kind of biased, as I've mainly ridden on the Builder from Portland. The Portland route runs through the Columbia River Gorge, which has some marvelous scenery. If you travel during the summer, daylight sticks around long enough to see the entire gorge, but during the winter, it's dark before the Builder even leaves Portland. The Portland station, which has a Metropolitan Lounge for Sleeper passengers, is much nicer than the Seattle station.

The Seattle section leaves about the same time and you may be able to see some of the Cascades before it gets too dark. I've never taken this section during the summer, so I don't know what you'd be able to see there.

Both sections arrive in Spokane within about 30 minutes of each other and are combined for the rest of the way between Spokane and Chicago. The Seattle section has the diner, but the Portland section has the Sightseer Lounge. If you travel by sleeper from Portland, they do provide an excellent cold supper with a complementary bottle of wine (for those who are old enough to enjoy adult beverages, of course). Otherwise, the usual lounge car fare is available for purchase. Likewise, on the Seattle section they set up a table in the diner with snacks and drinks, so getting food, drinks and snacks is not a problem on either section.

I've not been able to stay at either the Izaak Walton Inn or Glacier Park Lodge, but I have heard that both hotels are excellent places. Last time I rode the train, I spoke to several people who stayed at the Izaak Walton, and they gave it a big thumbs up. Both were built by the Great Northern Railway in the early 1900's and still have easy access to/from the train. The Izaak Walton is much more isolated than Glacier Park Lodge, so if you're looking for some place that you could hike from, the Izaak Walton is it, but if you're looking for easier access to most of Glacier Park, I would say that Glacier Park Lodge would probably be a better bet.

Hi there,

Thanks for that info - it was very helpful! Can you give me an example of what sort of food they give you for the "cold supper" from PDX? (I am familiar w/Amtrak menus for the dining cars) but this is the first time I have heard any reference of doing it that way. Thanks!

radsmom said:
Hi there,Thanks for that info - it was very helpful! Can you give me an example of what sort of food they give you for the "cold supper" from PDX? (I am familiar w/Amtrak menus for the dining cars) but this is the first time I have heard any reference of doing it that way. Thanks!
I'm not sure if they've changed it since I rode the train in the winter, but I was offered either beef tenderloin or chicken breast. The meat was obviously well prepared and then refrigerated, much like how some people will eat leftover fried chicken or pizza. On the side it had cole slaw and potato salad, a small piece of cheese and a couple of crackers, a dinner roll, and a dessert bar (chocolate chip in my case). The meals come packaged in a partitioned plastic tray with a lid, and the sleeper car attendant starts passing them out within a few minutes after leaving Portland. I picked the beef tenderloin, which was quite good, as were the sides.

On a separate note, does anyone know of another route that does this?

Not sure about the Boston Section, but according to the Timetable, the Texas Eagle does this beteen Fort Worth to San Antonio.

Viewliner said:
I would guess the Boston Section of the Lake Shore Limited, I'll look it up in a second though.
The LSL Boston section does not provide boxed food, you just go to the Cafe car and show you ticket stub. Then you get your meal for free.

I got a shrimp salad on the Portland version of the Empire Builder once. The beef and chicken choices are always available. I find the portions rather large, and have never been able to finish any of them. The free wine was always the high-end types. I've taken both versions of the Empire Builder, and prefer the Portland version because of the scenery (in the summer) and the Portland station. The Seattle station is a bit of a dump compared to Portland. The club/lounge is very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back