Quick Way to Find Amtrak News

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip Denmarks - this is a great idea! I signed up for the e-mail notification of all the news items once a day. It should be interesting!

There are two main errors I see: one article about the detour of the CZ shows an Amfleet train consist, one which is not used on the CZ. Why don't they show the CZ as it actually is with the Superliner equipment. Another error, the one about the woman who was rammed by an Amtrak train in NYC, thge article questions whether the train's conductor saw the woman. The train's conductor would be back with the passengers, not in the locomotive. If the reporter means the person driving the train, he is an engineer, not a conductor!!!

Actually Steve, while the conductor thing is an all too common error, the thing that I find most interesting in that article, is the simple fact that she managed to get her car on the bridge in the first place.

There are no roads in that area. On the Bronx side, the nearest road is probably a mile away, unless one counts the Henry Hudson bridge that's over 100 feet higher than the train bridge. The Bronx side is isolated by the Hudson River on one side and cliffs on the other.

The Manhattan side is similar to the Bronx side. The only difference is the dirt road that the bridge attendant uses to reach the bridge. This is supposed to be have a locked gate at the entrance. Additionally even if the gate was unlocked, one has to wonder why the bridge attendant didn't notice her drive by and call for help. Not to mention dropping all the signals to stop.

I just can't for the life of me figure how she got to where she did unless she got on the tracks at Edsall Avenue in the Bronx but IIRC ther is a Palisade to the east of the tracks so she would have had to do a Dukes of Hazzard type move to get there.

steve_relei said:
There are two main errors I see: one article about the detour of the CZ shows an Amfleet train consist, one which is not used on the CZ. Why don't they show the CZ as it actually is with the Superliner equipment.
It was probably a stock photograph that they use every time an article about an Amtrak train comes up. Besides, the person who wrote the article may have never seen what the CZ looks like, so he or she would have no idea what kind of cars are used on it.

It still bugs me that in the media there are so many people who don't know who does what on a railroad. Are these people that young--or that aloof--that they don't know conductor, engineer, fireman, brakeman, etc.. I know in Paris, the conducteur (conductrice--fem) is a bus driver. But here in America. we have more than 150 years of tradition of railroading.

About the CZ article, the CZ is one of Amtrak's most popular trains, the Superliners are extremely popular trains, popular with the public, that any newspaper should be able to get a good, representative photo of the to use. PMaybe they could just go down the the local Denver Union Station and take a photo of the CZ at the station. Even better, there have been all kinds of photos of Amtrak's CZ climbing the Front Range, snaking through Gore Canyon, gliding through Glenwood Canyon that would more representative of the train, the territory through which is travels, and the people it serves.

Such mismatch of photo to story shows how out of touch most newspeople are about Amtrak and train travel in general. How can they possibly expect to be fair and balanced when they don't know?

EmpireBuilderFan said:
steve_relei said:
There are two main errors I see: one article about the detour of the CZ shows an Amfleet train consist, one which is not used on the CZ. Why don't they show the CZ as it actually is with the Superliner equipment.
It was probably a stock photograph that they use every time an article about an Amtrak train comes up. Besides, the person who wrote the article may have never seen what the CZ looks like, so he or she would have no idea what kind of cars are used on it.
They are called "File Photos". The media (print, TV, and internet) use these whenever they are too lazy to go out and do fresh shoots.

steve_relei said:
It still bugs me that in the media there are so many people who don't know who does what on a railroad. Are these people that young--or that aloof--that they don't know conductor, engineer, fireman, brakeman, etc.. I know in Paris, the conducteur (conductrice--fem) is a bus driver. But here in America. we have more than 150 years of tradition of railroading.
About the CZ article, the CZ is one of Amtrak's most popular trains, the Superliners are extremely popular trains, popular with the public, that any newspaper should be able to get a good, representative photo of the to use. PMaybe they could just go down the the local Denver Union Station and take a photo of the CZ at the station. Even better, there have been all kinds of photos of Amtrak's CZ climbing the Front Range, snaking through Gore Canyon, gliding through Glenwood Canyon that would more representative of the train, the territory through which is travels, and the people it serves.

Such mismatch of photo to story shows how out of touch most newspeople are about Amtrak and train travel in general. How can they possibly expect to be fair and balanced when they don't know?
I am presently employed in the news media. Whenever a journalist makes a mistake mis-identifying the title of a railroad employee, I always make a trip to the newsroom. My complaints usually fall on deaf ears. You can imagine how frustrating that is for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back