Quotes by Phone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

-----Gavin------

Can the prices quoted on 1-800-usa-rail sometimes diffrent from the amtrak website

in CHRIST,

Gavin

Yes, sometimes they can be lower(on rare ocaison) but usually they are a little higher. Amtrak usually offers a discount for booking online.

engine999 said:
Amtrak usually offers a discount for booking online.
I do not think so. Amtrak fares are firm regardless of the method of booking. Only the rail fare internet specials are limited to on-line booking. All other fares can be booked in person, by phone, or at Amtrak.com. No discount is given for any mode. Variation of fares from day to day is caused by pulling bookings from the varying demand and time of year "buckets".

Is that a change in policy, I rember there use to be a discount for internet bookings to encourage them. Maybe it was part of the warrington administration.

Discounts offered for on-line booking (other than Rail Sale) are promotional offers, available for a limited time only. To obtain them, one must actively request the use of the specified discount code listed in the promotional materials. Unlike some airlines, Amtrak does not have a so-called permanent discount program for booking on-line.

Last year on my trip from Mi. to Fl. I booked the segment from WAS to KIS on the phone. I booked early enough to get the lowest bucket on 2 std. rooms. But when I requested that the rooms be side by side it bumped one of the rooms up a bucket in price. The agent was nice enough to get her supervisor to override the increase in price of the room and charge the same for both. So that is one example of the benefits of speaking to an agent.

Unless I have a special request like I mentioned above, I usually always book on the web. I have never had a problem with mistakes, but I suppose when letting another set of eyes and ears book your trip there is a greater risk of getting dates or trains messed up on accident. Another reason why I book on the web is because of all the stuff they explain or try to explain to you that us seasoned rail travelers know the ends and outs of already. Like I didn't know meals are included in a sleeper or that a deluxe room has a shower <_< (yawn). I know they are just doing their job.

Sometimes I have found that an agent can and will tell you of any upcoming specials that are due in the near future that may not be advertised at the moment you are booking a trip. But you have to ask them that question, they wont come out on there own and tell you. And finally I have always found the price on the web and phone to always be the same.

The Amtrak website is in the middle of a major overhaul, which should be completed sometime in September. At that point, there will be a discount for booking online, however the amount has not been determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back