Realistic Amtrak Funding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realistic Amtrak Funding

• Nothing, they'll be shut down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $900 million

• $1.2 billion

• $1.8 billion

• More than $1.8 billion (Specify and why)

• Other (Specify)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Funding's being talked about again, so here's the poll. In all reality how much money do you think Amtrak will get. I know we all want them to have as much money as we're sending to Iraq but that ain't gonna happen. So what's your realistic opinion of how much subsidy they'll get.

I voted for a sustainable $1.2 billion, enough to survive on since that seems to be the trend.

Of course 900 M is probably still a shutdown budget. Gunn has already said both this year and last, that Amtrak can't survive on that and he'll shut down Amtrak if given that amount.

My guess is that it will be status quo with 1.2 B or something close to that.

i would like to see 1.8 billion, but I have to be realistic; especially with a republican controlled house and senate. 1.2 billion seems like the figure amtrakw ill end up with a gain. :(

I said $1.8 billion. While Amtrak got by with $1.2 billion this year many projects got deffered, which really can't wait much longer. For instance; catenary and catenary pole replacement on the NEC, replacing again Auto Train carriers, buying new DMU trainsets for short line services, rebuilding numerous pieces of aging equipment, and the list goes on and on. I would hope to see atleast $1.5 billion given to Amtrak in the upcomming year.

I also said 1.8 billion. While that may be overly optimistic, David Gunn has done a great job of getting more money out of Congress each year that he's been president of Amtrak. It might not be 1.8 B, but I think it will be more than 1.2 B (1.5+ perhaps?).

If Bush wins, money is going to be a tough fight. This war is killing him in the polls and he's really for big business.

And the other politicians are caught up in the war and campaigning for their jobs, so it's going to be a tough year for Gunn.

Even if Kerry win's, we are still stuck with cleaning up the mess and this will cost billions over the next 20 years. :(

I hate war! :(

Miami Joe

I went with $1.8 billion, based on the absolute need for upgrading of infrastructure. I actually think Congress is beginning to understand the need to spend some money on the tunnels, bridges and other supporting areas in the NEC. I also think Amtrak has made pretty amazing strides in increased ridership and revenue since the change in pricing strategy earlier this year.

That being said, if the war turns worse, there may not be enough money for any of these scenarios.

Well . . . Gunn seems to be issuing a well-timed challege by bringing up those bridges on the NEC. Concrete evidence of what deferred maintainance has caused my cause Amtrak to get the 1.8 million.

Amtrak isn't the only one with infrastructure problems. :(

Every state is having to deal with old roads, bridges and structures. There was a story a few years ago on "Dateline," and the program showed how the roads are federal roads, but the states are financially responsible. And everyone knows that alot of states are considering bankruptcy.

Miami Joe

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back