Realistic Indianapolis IN - St. Louis MO schedules, rescheduling the C

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to a 1979 map in a conrail timetable most of the line was double tracked. From E St Louis to Smithboro, IL, Brownstown to Casey, and Terre Haute to IND. And I'm guessing I don't know for a fact at one time during New York Central times might have been double tracked. I might take some photos of the timetables if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the double track has been ripped up. The right of way is still there. But the second track isn't. Now Terre Haute to IND is all double track

I have rounded up the realistic schedules from the other thread (a fantasy land thread), and involves rescheduling the Cardinal, and putting an Indianapolis IN - St Louis MO Cardinal to Texas Eagle connection. Maybe I'll talk about extending this new train through Ohio to connect with another Chicago-East Coast train, or something like that. I won't be talking about the Hoosier State

Philly, I will use your idea of using spreadsheets (Matt Parker anyone?) to organize the train schedules. Here we go.

attachicon.gif
CardinalSchedule.pdf

Thanks for reading!
Here's a better plan: First off, make the Cardinal daily. This new route could then operate as a section of the Cardinal, splitting off at IND. Next, it should go a step further and extend the new section to Kansas City, creating another connection to the SWC. The current schedules of the Cardinal and River Runner would not change. The run from IND to KCY would take about 11 hours. and would have the same stops the National Ltd. had, with an additional stop in Greencastle, IN and the River Runner. A rough schedule for the section would be:

WESTBOUND:​
Dp. IND: 6:30 AM​
Ar. GCS: 7:15 AM​
Ar. TRH: 8:00 AM​
Ar. EFG: 9:00 AM​
Ar. STL: 11:30 AM​
Dp. STL: 12:00 PM​
Ar. KWD: 12:29 PM​
Ar. WAH: 1:06 PM​
Ar. HEM: 1:34 PM​
Ar. JEF: 2:22 PM​
Ar. SED: 3:39 PM​
Ar. WAR: 4:09 PM​
Ar. LEE: 4:50 PM​
Ar. IDP: 5:06 PM​
Ar. KCY: 5:40 PM​
EASTBOUND:​
Dp. KCY: 12:00 PM​
Ar. IDP: 12:19 PM​
Ar. LEE: 12:36 PM​
Ar. WAR: 1:19 PM​
Ar. SED: 1:49 PM​
Ar. JEF: 3:03 PM​
Ar. HEM: 3:48 PM​
Ar. WAH: 4:16 PM​
Ar. KWD: 4:58 PM​
Ar. STL: 5:40 PM​
Dp. STL: 6:10 PM​
Ar. EFG: 8:40 PM​
Ar. TRH: 9:40 PM​
Ar. GCS: 10:25 PM​
Ar. IND: 11:10 PM​
Dp. IND: 11:59 PM​
This schedule would allow for convenient connections to the CONO and IL state-supported trains, TE and SWC, and would add a midday frequency to the River Runner.

Ok, we wanted to reschedule the Cardinal to get CIN with better schedule.

Please read "Trying to Improve Amtrak Schedules in Ohio" to get more details on that.

So connections won't work unless IND to STL is fast enough .

Sorry it wasn't explained.

Really, if 80 mph . . . 240 miles, so 3 hours. But likely realistic paranoia about additional delays still brings it to 4.5 - 5 hours, unless there's some good evidence that these delays are minimal and there's nothing else slowing this train down.

LAX 555P

ABQ 1127A/1155A

LAJ 716P/726P

KCY 709A/758A

CHI 330P

Thru cars 4-314-50 KCY-STL-IND

KCY 730A

STL 110P/130P

IND 730P

CHI 115P

IND 720P/759P

CIN 1117P/1127P

CVS 1110A/1119A

WAS 219P

NYP 558P

NYP 1230P

WAS 445P

CVS 728P/737P

CIN 716A/726A

IND 1100A/1145N

CHI 405P

Thru cars 51-313-3 IND-STL-KCY

IND 1140A

STL 340P/400P

KCY 940P

CHI 300P

KCY 1011P/1045P

LAJ 815A/830A

ABQ 355P/445P

LAX 815A

Note the time change from STL-IND.

But now that has me curious about a NYP-BUF-CLE-IND-STL run. I'll come up with a timetable for that a bit later
I believe that was the routing of New York Central's Southwest Limited or some such name.
The southwest limited is the name that Amtrak replaced Super Chief with when ATSF revoked their right to use the name due to service reduction. This train continues on as the Southwest Chief, restoring the Chief name after improved service levels got the approval of ATSF. Of course there could have been others that used the name before this piece of history but I am not aware of such trains.

But now that has me curious about a NYP-BUF-CLE-IND-STL run. I'll come up with a timetable for that a bit later
I believe that was the routing of New York Central's Southwest Limited or some such name.
The Eastbound St. Louis - New York train was named The Southwestern. The Westbound New York - St Louis train was called The Knickerbocker.

What are the intermediate stops/path between CLE and IND?
In the 1965 timetable the stops between CLE and IND were:

Gallion, Bellefontaine, Sidney, Union City, Winchester, Muncie, Anderson, Indianapolis

And between Indy and St. Louise were:

Green Castle, Terre Haute, Paris, Mattoon, St. Louise.

Westbound it took 4:30 from CLE to IND and 4:55 from IND to STL. Eastboung it took 4:33 for STL - IND and 6:45 IND - CLE. Why the extra time between IND - CLE, I don't know. In both directions it had a close to an hour's stop at CLE. IND was 10 to 20 mins.

I think IND was on Central time back then, so westbound would have been 5:30 and eastbound 5:45.

(I'm guessing)

You're almost right. Actually it is the difference between EST and EDT. :) CLE is EDT and IND is EST, and of course STL is CDT, though the timetable quotes its time in both CDT and CST.

Corrected

Westbound it took 5:30 from CLE to IND and 4:55 from IND to STL. Eastboung it took 4:33 for STL - IND and 5:45 IND - CLE. In both directions it had a close to an hour's stop at CLE. IND was 10 to 20 mins.

Back