Red Safety Stripe Not New Idea

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
As many may be aware, Amtrak has been aplying a red safety stripe to most of its cars. However, the idea may not be new. Check out this photo of an LA commuter train (precursor to Metrolink) with the red safety stripe applied on the bottom of the car.

Jon, that looked more like an Amtrak End Observation car than it did a commuter train. :huh: ;)

Look closely at the sides of some of those cars... "santa monica", et al. Maybe LA bought some decommissioned Amtrak cars and made it into a makeshift commuter consist.

Actually, I'm pretty sure those were PV cars. There was a point early on in Amtrak's history in which PV's were required to be painted in the Amtrak Scheme, if they were to be hauled on Amtrak. I seem to remember reading somewhere that that was the case...

Man, you can tell it's 1978. Look at the autos. When was the last time you saw a Vega?

Viewliner said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure those were PV cars. There was a point early on in Amtrak's history in which PV's were required to be painted in the Amtrak Scheme, if they were to be hauled on Amtrak. I seem to remember reading somewhere that that was the case...
Yep, I remember hearing that too... but concerning the caption there, they probably aren't PV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back