Remembering the 231

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F40PHR231

Train Attendant
Things are rather slow right now, and I'm in the mood to do some rambling! Mechanical work is being done this and next week on the 231, I also requested the 30-day extension that's offered in the Sales Order. Since the holidays slowed things down, it was ideal to get the extension.

However, as anxious as everybody is, I miss the good ol' days when F40s dominated the rails. Unfortunately, as young as I am (not yet old enough to drink some booze), I didn't get to see many of them in action. (Photo of F40 #231 on Cascades Talgo near Mt Rainier, used with permission.)

231 was the only one that I got to see and photograph, and ride behind on numerous of trips starting back in 1994 to the last month it was in Portland.

I used to come home from work each day, and anxiously wait for the northbound Coast Starlight in anticipation that the 231, or another F40 would be on it.

Now that the F40s are virtually extinct from Amtrak, I no longer anticipate looking forward to the Coast Starlight's GE engines. I quit doing the daily PDX Reports that I offered online (since I saw basically each train, why not report it) -- and I miss the good ol' days, even if it was just a year ago.

The best I can do, for myself, fellow F40 fans, the railroad community, is to preserve that piece of history. Look at the PAs, SDP40Fs, P30CHs, FL9s, E units, they were EVERYWHERE during their prime time.

And they sure disappeared fast. That's a learning lesson for us all, is that when things are going to go, do not delay on preserving one. Think of today's P42s, F59PHIs, Dash-9s, SD70Macs, Geeps... Before you know it, they'll be gone, and you'll be wondering about how fast time flew by.

The F40 #231 came literally within days of being scrapped. In the past 30 days, over 50 F40s at Beech Grove have gone bye bye. The photos show it well, and it is not a pretty sight. It takes a group effort to make preservation happen -- any volunteer involved with preservation of any locomotive (whether it be labor, funds, supplies or a word of support) should give themselves a pat on the back.

It hasn't hit home yet, but every time I look at a photo or video of the 231, I can't help but smile.

231puyallup.jpg

Very wonerful story, glad to see an F40 being saved. Sadly, I never got to see an Amtrak one in action. I still do get to see running F40's as many commuter agencies still use them, including NJ Transit (My Local Carrier), Tri-Rail, and Metro North (west of Hudson Service). Its good that they still have some in operation.

Question For You: Were you horrified to see some F40's Turned into Cabbages? Or are you glad to at least see a small legacy of the F40's continuing?

On Another Note: Do you have the December 1999 Trains Magazine? If not, you'd like it as it does have a roster, and a very nice article (Cover Story). And Its Appropriately titled "The Little Engine That Did". I can honestly say its my favorite issue of Trains Magazine. My favorite issue of a magazine is the March 1988 Passenger Train Journal (Issue 123), which had a wonder article on my favorite subject, the Prototype Viewliners (hey, just look at the user name).

Thanks for the Update, Keep us posted.

Yes, I still see several of these...as cabbages on Hiawatha trains, as well as pushing/pulling our Metra trains.

Don't forget that the California State Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento (shameless plug :) ) added an Amtrak F-40 over the summer, can't remember the road number off the top of my head.

I'm only 16, but did have a chance to ride behind one once on Amtrak. That was on a Northeast Direct between Boston and Providence. As a little kid and my parents taking me to South Station I always remember Amtrak trains with the F-40 Locomotive and the "tubular" Amfleets. Of course I did not know these technical names until years later.

Have you thought of getting training and cirtified to drive on of these beauties? B)

(Have you thought of getting training and cirtified to drive on of these beauties?)

Already working on it.

The Old Sacramento F40 is #281, however, it's not in the best shape. During it's last few years, it rusted away at LA's Redondo shops, rarely making an apperance on any train. So it was probably cheaper for Amtrak to donate it to the Museum, rather than overhaul it and transport it to Beech Grove.

The F40 Cabbages did not scare me, at least they're being used. Cascades, Hiawatha, Michigan corridor, Downeaster all have Cabbages on them. The only thing I don't like about it, is the rolling 'garage door'. The Cabbages on the Cascades corridor do not have those rolling doors, but rather a typical swing open door.

~Chris

What do you have to do to get certified?

Thanks for your opinions, and more importantly thanks for saving F40PHR #231. B)

I remember Miami Joe saying you have to take a classroom course, past a test, and then go drive a loco under the supervision of a cirtified engineer for six months (???). Now a days Amtrak has special (and expensive) simulators for, I beleive, the P-40/P-42, Acela Express/HHP-8, and the F-59P.

I had the pleasure to ride behind some F40s back in 1993, which was the first time rode on Amtrak. I think I even have a picture of two F40s pulling the Broadway Limited around Horseshoe Curve in Pennsylvania. As we went around the curve, I was sitting in a dome (ex-Great Northern Railway, IIRC) and was able to look across the curve at the front of the train. Very impressive sight!

I have ridden behind (and in front of) F-40's that are in service with Tri-Rail, but I don't recall riding behind one on Amtrak service. The F-40 was and is a great engine that can and will keep pulling for many years to come. The sheer truth about the F-40's though is that they are gas guzzlers in their current state. If Amtrak were to keep them alive they would have had to refurbish the units at equivelent, if not more cost than to buy the new Genesis series locomotives. And while the the sun is setting on F-40's its nice to see them being preserved for future generations, just as steam is preserved for tourist lines.

EmpireBuilderFan said:
I had the pleasure to ride behind some F40s back in 1993, which was the first time rode on Amtrak. I think I even have a picture of two F40s pulling the Broadway Limited around Horseshoe Curve in Pennsylvania. As we went around the curve, I was sitting in a dome (ex-Great Northern Railway, IIRC) and was able to look across the curve at the front of the train. Very impressive sight!
You couldn't buy chance send me a copy of that photo? If so, thanks.

Viewliner said:
You couldn't buy chance send me a copy of that photo?  If so, thanks.
Unfortunately, not until summer time. If that photo does exist (which I'm still not sure), it's sitting in a box at my parents' house, which is 1202 miles away, according the Empire Builder train schedule (give or take a mile). When I'm back visiting this summer, I promise to look for it and get it to you if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back