Remodeling Classic Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
The last photographs that I saw of the Sacramento and New Orleans stations showed paint flaking off the outside walls. The stations looked like they were in bad shape. Does anyone know if there have been any improvements? What is currently happening to other stations. Is there anywhere to get this kind of information?

Well, I can tell you they are doing some renevation on the Sacramento station. I dont know exactly what, but alot of scafolding was in place when I went through their on the Zephyr in June.

On the other hand, I dont believe they are cuirently doing anything to the New Orleans station.

The exterior of the Orlando is in pretty sad shape. Here's a picture I took in December, look at the top of the roof near the domes to really see what I'm talking about.

Orlando%20Station-South%20Side.jpg

They are doing exterior renovation on the Sacramento depot, nothing on the interior I believe it was just roofing though. I wouldn't expect them to be doing too much either because there are plans to completely redo the entire station area including the track alignment.

About the only recent "upgrades" to the New Orleans station were the addition of the new Amtrak logo sign high above the station and a re-vamped air conditioning system for the building. I'd like to see some new waiting chairs out in the main lobby area, as well as a refurbishment to the Magnolia Room First Class lounge.

I just hope they do that before I get there in July. I just made my reservations five minutes ago, for the Amtrak portion. My itennerary is as follows:

P098-18: July 18, 2004 FTL-ORL or JAX Coach

P001-18: July 18/19, 2004 ORL or JAX-NOUPT Superliner Standard Room 12 in 0131

P058-19: July 19/20, 2004 NOUPT-CHI Superliner Standard Room 12 in 5800

I'm waiting to make airline reservations, my Dad thinks he can get Corporate rate on ATA, but the girl who knows all that stuff is out of the office next week. We'll be staying at Doubletree downtown for the great rate of $139/night. I CAN'T WAIT!!! :D :D :D

battalion51 said:
I just hope they do that before I get there in July. I just made my reservations five minutes ago, for the Amtrak portion. My itennerary is as follows:
P098-18: July 18, 2004 FTL-ORL or JAX Coach

P001-18: July 18/19, 2004 ORL or JAX-NOUPT Superliner Standard Room 12 in 0131

P058-19: July 19/20, 2004 NOUPT-CHI Superliner Standard Room 12 in 5800

I'm waiting to make airline reservations, my Dad thinks he can get Corporate rate on ATA, but the girl who knows all that stuff is out of the office next week. We'll be staying at Doubletree downtown for the great rate of $139/night. I CAN'T WAIT!!! :D :D :D
I'm confused. :blink:

If you made your reservation, how can you not know if you're boarding the sleeper in JAX or ORL? :huh:

I can understand the coach side, since your pass would cover that either way, but you've got to commit to the sleeper.

By the way I hope that you've got an Amtrak Guest Rewards card. Time to start collecting those points. Plus the Doubletree will give you 500 GR points too.

AlanB said:
I'm confused. :blink:
If you made your reservation, how can you not know if you're boarding the sleeper in JAX or ORL? :huh:

I can understand the coach side, since your pass would cover that either way, but you've got to commit to the sleeper.

By the way I hope that you've got an Amtrak Guest Rewards card. Time to start collecting those points. Plus the Doubletree will give you 500 GR points too.
Well Alan there are a couple of factors here. First, it depends on whether the Sunset runs out of SFA or ORL that day, if they are late enough the night before they will run SFA-JAX instead of SFA-ORL-JAX. Second it depends on the crews. Right now I'd likely change in ORL because I don't like the crew on 98, but I do on 001. But come July different people will likely be on those jobs, so it depends on who's working it in July. Also, if the Sunset is running out of Orlando anyone going to the Sunset is encouraged to change at Orlando to open up badly needed seats for the crowd getting on at ORL. My reservation is out of JAX, but if the coach seats are needed badly enough I will change in Orlando since no one will have my room between ORL-JAX, otherwise if someone does they are incredibly dumb since there are no meals between ORL-JAX on the Sunset. And yes I do have Guest Rewards Alan, I'm just a few hundred points shy of 5,000. I'll probably try to save em up though for a sleeper down the road. :D

battalion51 said:
Well Alan there are a couple of factors here. First, it depends on whether the Sunset runs out of SFA or ORL that day, if they are late enough the night before they will run SFA-JAX instead of SFA-ORL-JAX. Second it depends on the crews. Right now I'd likely change in ORL because I don't like the crew on 98, but I do on 001. But come July different people will likely be on those jobs, so it depends on who's working it in July. Also, if the Sunset is running out of Orlando anyone going to the Sunset is encouraged to change at Orlando to open up badly needed seats for the crowd getting on at ORL. My reservation is out of JAX, but if the coach seats are needed badly enough I will change in Orlando since no one will have my room between ORL-JAX, otherwise if someone does they are incredibly dumb since there are no meals between ORL-JAX on the Sunset.
OK, that makes some sense now. But the way you originally phrased it, didn't make sense, since Arrow won't let you book a ticket with the open ended option of deciding which city you wanted to board in.

And yes I do have Guest Rewards Alan, I'm just a few hundred points shy of 5,000. I'll probably try to save em up though for a sleeper down the road.   :D
I wasn't suggesting that you use them for this trip. :) I was just hoping that you were collecting them and telling you that you should give the D-Tree your GR number. That way you'll have 5,500 points when Hilton (D-Tree is part of the Hilton chain) sends your bonus points over to Amtrak. :D :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back