Richmond Broad Street Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The station to be re-opened in Richmond, VA is Main Street Station. Broad Street Station is now a museum and is disconnected from any rail line.

battalion51 said:
OK, so what is the current station that Amtrak is utilizing?
An Amshack on Staples Mills Road, just outside of the city I believe. Whats the timeframe though? When will I be able to see this station when travelling via Silver Service?

Actually, Broad Street Station (Science Museum of Virginia) has rail access. The American Orient Express uses Broad Street for its Richmond layover (and is either there right now, or just left for DC on it’s Jazz tour from New Orleans to Washington).

Amtrak is presently using a station located several miles west on Staples Mill Road in suburban Henrico County. It is basically an Amshack.

Until the old line south from downtown Richmond is restored to passenger service standards, the only trains that will stop at Main Street will be the Newport News NEC service. Florida trains will continue to only stop at Staples Mill and will bypass downtown Richmond.

Viewliner said:
An Amshack on Staples Mills Road, just outside of the city I believe. Whats the timeframe though? When will I be able to see this station when travelling via Silver Service?
It's far more than an Amshack, Staple Mill Road station has a real building with ticket counters and checked baggage, plus canopies over the platforms.

As for seeing the new station from a Silver Service train, that's still more than a year away I think. Initially only trains to New Port News will see the new station.

Amfleet said:
I don't think trains are eveing going it by it yet. It's on a different route I believe.
No trains to and from New Port News pass right by the new station even now. They just won't stop until the work is completed.

Amfleet said:
Well in any case Silver Service won't pass the station on your trip Viewliner, but by 2007-08 Silver Service/Palmetto/Carolinian trains are suposed to stop there.
Well, at least by then I'll have more flexibilty on when I can travel.

The current Richmond station at Staples Mill Road is pretty far from downtown Richmond, too far to make it really convenient for businesspeople who need to get downtown. They tried a Thruway bus several years ago serving several downtown locations to and from the Staples Mill station, but surprisingly it flopped due to low ridership.

Phase 1 of the Main Street station project, which will have only the Newport News trains serving it, is supposed to take place with the spring timetable changes that go into effect in April. I have not heard anything that would indicate this event would be postponed. The station will therefore be served by Trains 94 and 95 on weekdays, Trains 99 and 194 on weekends, and Trains 78 and 83 on Fridays only. The new 76 and 77 (see Twilight Shoreliner thread) will stop there too on a daily basis.

Phase 2 will have the trains that now terminate in Richmond at Staples Mill be extended to Main Street. This is at least a year away, as facilities still need to be built to accomodate layovers. The trains involved here would be 84, 85, 86, and 93 on weekdays, and 82, 87, 88, and 195 on weekends.

Phase 3 is dependent on the rebuilding of tracks south of the Main Street station to accomodate the trains to/from the south. This is several years off. When completed, the station will then serve 79, 80, 89, 90, 91, 92, 97, and 98. Only the Auto Train will continue using the freight bypass around Richmond that the above trains now use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back