Riding private varnish

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ispolkom

Engineer
Mrs. Ispolkom and I are planning a birthday weekend in Chicago this October, flying down on Saturday morning, visiting museums, going to the Lyric Opera, and returning on train #7 Sunday evening.

We were planning on the weekend of October 17-18, as that would allow us to see a singer we've never yet heard live.

But then I was looking at this Web site for the private car Caritas, which I often see parked at the St. Paul station.

If we change our trip back a couple of weeks, to October 3-4 we could take the Caritas back on train #7. Of course, at $195 each it would cost about twice as much as the roomette on the Empire Builder we have booked, and we'd be going to see a less-interesting opera, but I'm thinking this is a rare opportunity. It certainly seems a lot less expensive than other private varnish trips (heck, it's 20% less than repositioning trips were last year).

Does anyone have any experience or advice? Should we go for this?

Well it's probably worth the experience to at least step into a PV while on the move. Does that price include a meal? That would make the deal even sweeter.

Well it's probably worth the experience to at least step into a PV while on the move. Does that price include a meal? That would make the deal even sweeter.
Oh, yes, at least dinner, and I'd hope a preprandial martini. I'm definitely going to look into this, though opera tickets don't go on sale until August 1. I especially like that this is using a private car for an actual trip, rather than an excursion.

Back