Road Power's Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
As I write this the Sanford Auto Train Yard is making the road power move for Auto Train with the 206 and 832 (206 leading today's 52). When Gunn visited AT on Monday he spoke of a few new possiblities with AT. He said he would like to get new switchers for Auto Train (and the accompanying Sunset job) and pool 10-12 (possibly all 18) P-32-8's in SFA for use on AT and possibly the Sunset power from NOL-SFA (as there are a few sets of road power the Sunset uses on its entire journey). Advantages to the DASH 8 units include being designed to haul a 40-50 car train such as AT. Three units would likely be used on the job, and the units would likely be geared down to 80 MPH as AT never breaks 70, and the Sunset 79, this would also cause the units to load up quicker when coming out of slow orders or when coming out of Double Track. I'll try to get up to SFA if and when AT makes the switch.

That would be better as it is designed as a freight/passenger motive. I remember it taking almost 10 minutes comming out of Sanford or Lorton for the AT to pick up speed unless the speed around these areas in under 30-40mph???

The area from the Sanford Station to NE Sanford is 30 MPH Main Track, then up to 60 MPH past there to Lake Monroe DB which is 45 MPH, then you don't hit maximum speed until just before the NE Benson Junction. Also keep in mind that in Sanford Yard you have pretty slow speeds due to low ballast levels and joint rail, I believe Maximum speed in there is somewhere around 10 MPH, which is usually never reached. The yard Conductors try to go over to 3232 when they can to let the road crew know they are clear out of the yard.

I wouldn't think so if they are going to be shared with the Sunset, but anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back