Romancing the Rails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
There is a very interesting article in March's Condé Nast Traveler about European trains. Most travel at over 150 mph with some planned for over 200 mph. Paris-Marseille - 539 miles in a little over 3 hours. Frankfurt-Cologne - 110 miles in just over 1 hour. Madrid-Barcelona - 400 miles in 2.5 hours (planned). Beautiful new terminals are being built that rival our airports in architecture. While they are expanding we are losing trains. It makes me sick. :(

I agree.

People in the U.S. have a hard time utilizing public transportation. They all want to drive around by themselves in SUVs to go distances that trains could cover much faster. For instance, where I live, we have unbelievable traffic problems (it takes my mother 1 hour to go 7 miles every morning), and yet we have voted down light rail twice.

Not only would a similar system in the U.S. reduce greenhouse emissions and fossil fuel dependability, but it would clear up the highways and allow for the skies to be less crowded. But, I have no idea how we, as a country, can progress to allowing more public transportation.

Maybe we could seriously inflate gas prices and have cheap diesel! :lol:

Could you imagine LA to SF in about 2 hours. That would be faster that flying when you count airport to town transportation. LA to NY would take about 20 hours. When flying that distance the entire day is used. Just add overnight on the train and the time is about the same assuming by the time you get to your hotel after flying you are too tired to do anything until the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back