Roundtrip on Las Vegas, NM & LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LSV – LAX- May 9 – 10, 2005

I booked as a coach class because the roomette was a little high when I purchased the ticket over the internet about a month ago before the departure date.. I checked on internet on the day before departure and my jaws dropped! It has about 2 roomettes left for at a bargain rate- $151 instead of $367! Since I already have the ticket for coach class, so I called the reservation system to upgrade to sleeper class. Meanwhile, I was on-line doing some chat with other Amtrak fans (http://www.amtraktrains.com/chat), one of them gave me valuable tips. On my first attempt with an agent, she/he was too lazy to do anything, so I hung up. On my second attempt and he was very helpful. He reserved a roomette and informed me to pay the conductor when I’m boarded.

After driving 3 hours on road to Las Vegas, NM, I reached the station about ½ hour before arrival time. The station is fully remodeled and is being used by Las Vegas tourist center and city bus center. While waiting for train, I walked around the antique hotel next to the station which it was built by Harvey. Sadly, it was boarded up and some are fallen apart. I talked to a rail fan and informed me that the train will be about 2 hours late. So much for lunch on train, so I took a quick trip to McDonald’s for lunch and come back. You’ll never know if the train will make up lost time enrouted or not.

It finally came at 2:38 pm, instead of 12:38 pm. I was the only person to board. I informed the conductor that I reserved a roomette a night before (after the SWC was already left Chicago.) He wasn’t aware of it. Another problem was my roomette was already taken. My sleeper attendant found an empty roomette #10 and the conductor told me to pay at the ABQ station, a service stop, so I did.

The most scenic area between LSV and LAX is Apache Canyon. It is right before the Glorieta area, on the south side (left side westbound). The tracks are sitting on edge of cliff with the creek down below. It was a speculator sight! Best time for viewing is during early spring when there’s raging water from melting snow.

The train stopped at ABQ station for refueling and cleaning windows while a lot of riders are hawking over the Indian jewelry and burritos, along with smokers happily sucking in the cigarettes.

The consist of train is 2 locomotives, baggage, transition dorm, 2 sleepers, diner, lounge, 3 coaches and 4 boxcars. The car that I’m staying in has been remodeled. It has wood walls in the hallway and futuristic look bathrooms. In upper level, there’s no window for the bathroom. Toilet was placed in the corner, 45 degrees. The basin is marble-like and it has a “bar” sink. The mirror is overhead. It’s hard to use it because of stick out mirror and the sprout is a little too high for splashes.

My attendant is Simon Gonzales and he has a lot of knowledge of ABQ and its vicinity. He’s the one of my best attendants. He loved telling us jokes. He even leaves the window in vestibules open for passengers to look out as long as you stay inside under supervision. I gave him a nice tip after detraining at LAUS.

I ordered New York strip steak. While waiting for dinner, the waiter gave us salad and it was very crunchy! Dinner came and it was a little dry and crunchy, so I asked for A-1 sauce. I sat with three other passengers. They were talking a lot about Chicago stuff and the east, mostly about Amtrak and things to do. All I had done was listening because I’ve never been in those areas before.

I didn’t slept too well because the room was at end of the car with wheel above. It rocked a lot. Also, I’m a cold sleeper and the blanket is very thin. Should’ve wear sweat pants, not shorts.

Train arrived about 45 minutes late at LAUS, which it’s not that bad. My rental car is at the LAX. There are several ways to get there, so I took Red Line subway and two light rails (Blue Line and Green Line.) It took about an hour to reach at LAX, then get on its car rental shuttle bus. The rental car that I picked was Honda Civic Hybrid car. It’s fun to drive and great gas mileage! The average mpg that I drove was about 42 in total of about 900 miles.

LAX – LSV- May 15-16, 2005

I have about 70 minutes to spare after dropping the car rental off, so it’ll be a really tight timing. I could ride a direct route on bus, subway/light rails with three stops, light rail/express bus, or airport shuttle. So I decide to ride on subway/light rails because of tight timing and familiar with it. One of the Blue Line train was broke down at one of stations, so the riders from broken train came into ours and were packed, more like Japanese subway! Good thing that there’re no pushers involved! I had to stand up the whole way because of suitcases I’m carrying. Finally reached LAUS with about 10 minutes left, whew! The cost is $3.00 on MTA day pass.

The consist of train is 3 loco, baggage, transition dorm, two sleepers, diner, lounge, and 3 coaches. One of the loco was belching a lot of smoke when working hard. Train departed on time.

There were tons of rail fanners at Fullerton station, keep tracking of all kinds of trains, including freights and Pacific Surfliners.

There was a “lunatic” guy in the sightseer car, made a little senseless argue at a guy. So I indirectly watch for him.

I walked toward the back of the train, a coach car, to look out the window of rear door. Sadly, it was really dirty and couldn’t see very well in the dark. So I walked almost all the way back to the front, passengers sleeping on their coach seats, even though it’s about 9 pm.

At San Bernardino station after loading the passengers, SWC had to back up and switched to mainline. It’s very odd to see that since it’s a sub-track.

The sleeper (Superliner I) I was on has lime-color bathrooms. I like the old ones better than the “futuristic” bathroom because it’s easy to use with sink. Also I like to look out the window on upper level bathroom.

My sleeper attendant is Joan and all she did was assisting when someone requested it. If she’s not busy, she can be found in her room, reading books.

I sat with loyal Amtrak fans for dinner. It was a lively conversation, esp. about the ultra-thin camera and concern for Amtrak budget. I had a special for dinner- traditional chicken and it was really good. The meat is very tender.

I soundly slept in my roomette for the entire night. Room is located in middle of the car, across from attendant’s room. Usually, you’ll get sleep well after 2nd night on train.

While passing through the Navajo Nation, I noticed several sheepherders are tending the flocks on open rangeland. One is an elder while two others are handled by sheepdogs. Sheepdogs keep the sheep together. It’s fun to watch them doing!

I sat in sightseer car for about 45 minutes and a “lunatic” guy is there. He frequently scribbled his finger on a pant as if he is writing a letter. One time, he pretendly pours salts on his hand and throw it behind him.

I purchased a burrito at an ABQ stop and it was really good. I highly recommend for you to try it out even though it’s a little spicy.

While passing through Apache Canyon, I took several pictures of Apache Canyon even though the water in the creek is less than last week.

I noticed that there are active semaphores between LMY and LSV. I finally got a good picture of it after several attempts with my camera. They’re still in used even though the BNSF is proposing to abandon the tracks. Here’s some info on http://www.rrsignals.net/Atsf/NewMexico/2n...d/7061/7061.htm.

The arrival time into LSV is on time and two of us were detraining. It was sad to see the train chugging along without me.

I had a great time and eager to ride again. Hopefully, the Congress is giving Amtrak plenty of money for 2006 budget.

Hi, thank you for your trip report, I found it most interesting. As I am in England, it would be impossible to leave my sleeping car bookings to the day before!

Do any Amtrak Unlimited users have any tips for cheaper sleeper bookings?

Is there any day in the week when its cheaper, generaly?

ps Glad to know that its not just me that attracts wierdo's...hang on a minute.. Oh, its ok ...its my own reflection!

Ed. B)

caravanman said:
As I am in England, it would be impossible to leave my sleeping car bookings to the day before!Do any Amtrak Unlimited users have any tips for cheaper sleeper bookings?

Is there any day in the week when its cheaper, generaly?
It depends on the demand. Summer is the heaviest demand. During off-season, middle of the week is probably the best time.

If you want to book for the summer season at a low price, you'll have to book at least 6 months or longer.

You can ask the conductor for upgrade when you board on train if there is a sleeper (either roomette or bedroom) available.

Sounds like you were on the Chief a couple of weeks before we were. Las Vegas looks like an interesting place. Too bad they can't do something with the old hotel and the roundhouse. How many stalls? Yes, the Apache Canyon is great. I made sure I was in the Sightseer Lounge both times. It is also a better place to watch the semaphores. It would be a real crime if the Burlington, (I always call it the Burlington since the AT&SF is no longer) were to close that line and the unparalelled beauty from Trinidad on west. What have you heard regarding this? Great report. Thanks.

It was from Amtrak's 5 year plan from its website. If that is happened, then the alternative route would be from Kansas to Belen via Amarillo, TX and Clovis, NM. It's a flat route.

I agree with you that scenic route on Raton line is probably the most scenic part of SWC.

ABQ is working on to make a commuter rail line. BNSF is thinking about selling instead of leasing the line from ABQ to Santa Fe in near future, perhaps further to Raton. It's still in sketchy stage for BNSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back