San Francisco/Emeryville, CA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save a few bucks:

You can buy a 1-day Muni Visitor Passport for $13 at the cable car terminals, which includes unlimited rides on cable cars, Muni buses, light rail, and street cars, through midnight of the date of purchase.

That's less than one round-trip on the cable cars, which costs $16 standalone.

You can also buy it in the Muni Mobile app.

https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/fares

My preference is to stay in Emeryville. Specifically at the Hyatt House. I'd rather walk the few hundred feet from the hotel to EMY station at 8am than hang around curbside on Mission St in San Francisco before 7am waiting for a bus. Plus, if your westbound train arrives to EMY late you will be glad you don't have a bus ride and long schlep to a hotel in SF.

Install the Clipper app and buy a 1 day Tourist Passport to use if you want to ride the cable cars. There are 3 transit options to get to San Francisco as a day trip:
  • Good: Train
    Take the train 1 stop EMY to Oakland Jack London Square and then walk to one of the BART stops to take the train. Long walk from Amtrak to BART, or you could take a rideshare. This option won't have rush hour traffic.
  • Better: Bus
    Take the F or J bus into SF. They both stop about a block from the hotel. Traffic could be a problem.
  • Best: Ferry
    Take the train 1 stop EMY to Oakland Jack London Square and take the ferry. No traffic, no worries. I think this isn't included in the 1 day pass.
If you do the last option you get 2 tourist sights for free - the ferry ride and the ferry building. From there you can take the historic F streetcar up into the city or around to the Fisherman's Wharf area. Or take the California Line cable car up the hill.

For history buffs, in addition to the ferry, ferry building, historic streetcars and cable cars you could also catch the SF Maritime National Historic Park (2 museum buildings plus historic ships on the Hyde St Pier), and catch a cable car to the SF Cable Car Museum on Mason St. That's also a good place to catch the next cable car, which you can take back to the ferry building area where there are good dining options. Also the Wells Fargo Museum is in the area, if you want to appreciate some pre-railroad history. Last eastbound ferry leaves around 9pm. Check the schedule.
Another thing to catch, probably in the evening on your way back - Jack London's Yukon gold rush cabin and Heinold's First and Last Chance Saloon in Oakland. Particularly if you've spent time at the SF Maritime museum. If it's late and you want door-to-door service it shouldn't be too expensive to get a taxi or rideshare back the hotel from here. But I haven't felt unsafe taking the train back to EMY and crossing over to the hotel by the pedestrian bridge.

If you do this you will appreciate the comparatively lazy departure morning, breakfast buffet at the HH Hotel and short stroll over the bridge to the platform. You will start your ride home feeling fresh and ready to go.

The main thing you miss is the possibility of dinner in SF on the arrival night. But there are some good options near Oakland Jack London Square.

Last edited:
Hello all! My best friend and I doing a roundtrip from OSC to EMY in late June. The train trip itself is the vacation destination, but to avoid the stress of what happens if the train runs too late to catch the return the next morning, we're going to spend 2 nights (one full day) in the EMY area. We're a couple of sixtyish women and I'm trying to figure out what we could do with the full day we'll have in the area and how to safely get around the area. From my brief research it sounds like there is nothing to do in Emeryville itself and that the crime is the highest of any city in the country. Can anyone let me know if that's an accurate assessment? If so, sounds like I need to have our destination changed to SF, plan to take the connecting bus service, find a hotel & plan our one days activities there.
Assuming that is the case, does anyone have suggestions for a safe, affordable hotel near where the bus arrives in San Francisco? Any excursions that are from a couple hours to one day that come highly recommended? I would greatly appreciate any input!
Fully understand the train being the destination as mine are the same. One that I have done a while ago was from Denver to Sacramento. Got a room at the Vagabond Inn (Old Town) about 500' from the SAC station. It wasn't fancy in anyway but I was doing was sleeping there but it was reasonably price. Now I am not sure if is still open since Google it give conflicting information. Plus there are multiple lodging choices close by if you want a little more upscale lodging.

It 2/10ths of a mile walk to the California State Railroad Museum in Old Town Sacramento. And Old Town has all kinds of interesting shops and restaurants. Actually met and had a drink with Frank from the American Pickers TV Show at one of the restaurants.

I've done Denver to Emeryville and hotel overnight and back home the morning a couple times just for the ride (yes had a Roomette each way). And yup ain't much in Emeryville. Even though it is about 2-2.5 hours shorter of a train there is a whole lot more to do in Sacramento.

Anyway enjoy your excursion and stay safe.

Take a look at the downtown Herbert Hotel hotel and Fitzgerald Hotel which are not too far from the Amtrak bus stop in Mission Street.
At the lower end of San Francisco's price range and basic but do put you near many of downtown's attractions and the arrival bus stop, especially if you like walking a little.

Be good to hear how you get on.

Fully understand the train being the destination as mine are the same. One that I have done a while ago was from Denver to Sacramento. Got a room at the Vagabond Inn (Old Town) about 500' from the SAC station. It wasn't fancy in anyway but I was doing was sleeping there but it was reasonably price. Now I am not sure if is still open since Google it give conflicting information. Plus there are multiple lodging choices close by if you want a little more upscale lodging.

It 2/10ths of a mile walk to the California State Railroad Museum in Old Town Sacramento. And Old Town has all kinds of interesting shops and restaurants. Actually met and had a drink with Frank from the American Pickers TV Show at one of the restaurants.

I've done Denver to Emeryville and hotel overnight and back home the morning a couple times just for the ride (yes had a Roomette each way). And yup ain't much in Emeryville. Even though it is about 2-2.5 hours shorter of a train there is a whole lot more to do in Sacramento.

Anyway enjoy your excursion and stay safe.
I've been looking at SAC & although there are great SF ideas in these posts, I love the options in SAC. Do you miss any compelling views shortening the trip?

My preference is to stay in Emeryville. Specifically at the Hyatt House. I'd rather walk the few hundred feet from the hotel to EMY station at 8am than hang around curbside on Mission St in San Francisco before 7am waiting for a bus. Plus, if your westbound train arrives to EMY late you will be glad you don't have a bus ride and long schlep to a hotel in SF.

Install the Clipper app and buy a 1 day Tourist Passport to use if you want to ride the cable cars. There are 3 transit options to get to San Francisco as a day trip:
  • Good: Train
    Take the train 1 stop EMY to Oakland Jack London Square and then walk to one of the BART stops to take the train. Long walk from Amtrak to BART, or you could take a rideshare. This option won't have rush hour traffic.
  • Better: Bus
    Take the F or J bus into SF. They both stop about a block from the hotel. Traffic could be a problem.
  • Best: Ferry
    Take the train 1 stop EMY to Oakland Jack London Square and take the ferry. No traffic, no worries. I think this isn't included in the 1 day pass.
If you do the last option you get 2 tourist sights for free - the ferry ride and the ferry building. From there you can take the historic F streetcar up into the city or around to the Fisherman's Wharf area. Or take the California Line cable car up the hill.

For history buffs, in addition to the ferry, ferry building, historic streetcars and cable cars you could also catch the SF Maritime National Historic Park (2 museum buildings plus historic ships on the Hyde St Pier), and catch a cable car to the SF Cable Car Museum on Mason St. That's also a good place to catch the next cable car, which you can take back to the ferry building area where there are good dining options. Also the Wells Fargo Museum is in the area, if you want to appreciate some pre-railroad history. Last eastbound ferry leaves around 9pm. Check the schedule.
Another thing to catch, probably in the evening on your way back - Jack London's Yukon gold rush cabin and Heinold's First and Last Chance Saloon in Oakland. Particularly if you've spent time at the SF Maritime museum. If it's late and you want door-to-door service it shouldn't be too expensive to get a taxi or rideshare back the hotel from here. But I haven't felt unsafe taking the train back to EMY and crossing over to the hotel by the pedestrian bridge.

If you do this you will appreciate the comparatively lazy departure morning, breakfast buffet at the HH Hotel and short stroll over the bridge to the platform. You will start your ride home feeling fresh and ready to go.

The main thing you miss is the possibility of dinner in SF on the arrival night. But there are some good options near Oakland Jack London Square.
The ferry option is compelling & I do like low stress departure mornings. Thanks so much!

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful ideas! This was just what I was looking for. Each time I've reached out, I've been so impressed with just how helpful the fine folks on this forum are!

I've been looking at SAC & although there are great SF ideas in these posts, I love the options in SAC. Do you miss any compelling views shortening the trip?

The ferry option is compelling & I do like low stress departure mornings. Thanks so much!

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful ideas! This was just what I was looking for. Each time I've reached out, I've been so impressed with just how helpful the fine folks on this forum are!
No not really... there is a bit of travel along the bay around the Martinez Bridge but most of it is backyards and industrial. Another thing for me anyway is that the Sacramento area is a tad cheaper for me and not just for the rail travel.

If anyone has stayed at the Waterfront Hotel at Jack London Square in Oakland I would be interested to know what it is like. The prices are not cheap but they seem comparable to some of the hotel prices I have seen for Emeryville.

Ten years ago my wife and I stayed several nights at the Inn at Jack London Square (not to be confused with the extremely poorly rated Jack London Inn). We took the ferry in the morning to San Francisco and had a great day. As I recall the last ferry back leaves San Francisco about 8 p.m. so it does not allow for a late night in San Francisco. On the morning that we were supposed to leave on No. 6, we got a call from Amtrak that the departure of No. 6 had been set back to 1 p.m. so we spent the morning at the Oakland Chinatown which we enjoyed much more than the San Francisco Chinatown.

I understand that the Inn at Jack London Square is now the Z Hotel but I don't seem to find a website for it. Maybe it has changed its name again. It was a fine place to stay and we enjoyed the Buttercup restaurant beside the hotel.

Speaking as an 18 year Bay Area (Berkeley and SF) resident, SAC and SF are two completely different beasts, each with their own strengths. I've taken the CZ many times to and from SF (okay, Oakland, okay, Emeryville). Personally I always enjoyed riding through the Delta and along the Martinez shore past the decaying wharves and derelict ships. And even the fast run down from Richmond to Emeryville has an amazing view of the Golden Gate.

Sacramento is a great stop. I've stayed and eaten several times on the Delta King sternwheeler, which is surprisingly reasonable. The rooms are a bit odd, because they converted two tiny cabins into one very strange shaped room, but it is fun, and an easy walk from the station. The railroad museum is amazing and worth a trip by itself. Allow at least four hours.

But you should also consider SF, perhaps as a separate trip. Despite some downtown challenges, the place is still magical if you get the right suggestions. Be sure and get out to the Cliff House and the remains of the Sutro baths. If you ask right you can get some amazing Chinese food and *real* Hunan that can burn your tongue off if you want to try it. Also fantastic Italian. Nothing wrong with staying in the Jack London area but jump on the first ferry across the Bay.

Last edited:
I was contemplating a trip from LA to SF on the Coast Starlight this summer, and looked into the endpoint logistics for me. Unfortunately, this trip will not happen this year. My employer is downtown, and on past occasions they have paid for me to stay there. A couple times I've stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf area, where the hotels are not quite as dear, and taken the F line streetcar to the office. The last time, they picked the same week as the RSA Conference in Moscone Center. Everything was full. I ended up finding a room in Larkspur and taking the ferry in every day. I have family in Modesto, so I often rent a car for the weekend.

Tip: Seniors (65+) can get a discounted Clipper card, (good on SFMuni, BART, etc) if you find a manned outlet that can take your ID. One is in the Ferry Building downtown. Details on their website.

The Amtrak bus used to board outside the Hyatt Regency on Drumm street, but it seems they've moved it over to Mission St. I guess it's easier on and off from the bridge.

I looked at connections and renting a car at either Jack London or Emeryville, and even though you can probably find one during weekday business hours, I often find myself wanting to return it on Sunday to fly home and none of in-town offices do off hours drop-off. OAK doesn't have useful flights to Boston anymore, (and I got burned by Alamo there on a late flight once) so I'm usually using SFO.

I note that Emeryville has a free shuttle to the MacArthur BART station. In Jack London, you can get a local bus to the 12th St/Oakland BART station. I'm sure you can find taxis or Uber if you are inclined.

Since you'll be taking the CZ home, you'd want to consider your departure day connections, and work back from there. Day trips out of that area could work well, but there are places you could do an overnight.

My solution to my situation would have been to take the shuttle from Emeryville, take BART all the way out to SFO, so I can rent a car there to simplify my return.

Speaking as an 18 year Bay Area (Berkeley and SF) resident, SAC and SF are two completely different beasts, each with their own strengths. I've taken the CZ many times to and from SF (okay, Oakland, okay, Emeryville). Personally I always enjoyed riding through the Delta and along the Martinez shore past the decaying wharves and derelict ships. And even the fast run down from Richmond to Emeryville has an amazing view of the Golden Gate.

Sacramento is a great stop. I've stayed and eaten several times on the Delta King sternwheeler, which is surprisingly reasonable. The rooms are a bit odd, because they converted two tiny cabins into one very strange shaped room, but it is fun, and an easy walk from the station. The railroad museum is amazing and worth a trip by itself. Allow at least four hours.

But you should also consider SF, perhaps as a separate trip. Despite some downtown challenges, the place is still magical if you get the right suggestions. Be sure and get out to the Cliff House and the remains of the Sutro baths. If you ask right you can get some amazing Chinese food and *real* Hunan that can burn your tongue off if you want to try it. Also fantastic Italian. Nothing wrong with staying in the Jack London area but jump on the first ferry across the Bay.
Will be taking the cz to San Francisco late may. Any restaurant suggestions?

I interneted some of my favorite places, and amazed how few were still around. The Cliff House is closed, my Little Joes/Baby Joes is gone (although there are some sequels), even my favorite Hunan temple. I'm sure there is still excellent food available, but hopefully someone with more recent experience can step up to the plate.

I was even going to recommend a dive bar in the Sunset district, but it was closed after the bartender ignored too many cocaine transactions. :-(

Still, try hard to get out to the Sutro baths and walk around the ruins. If it is warm (unlikely) you could take a picnic lunch...

Back