San Francisco taxies Amtrak questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKA

OBS Chief
hello, Two things, one anyone been inbound to sfc lately? if so can you help with any info about taxi service at the sfc station. ferry buld. I have read many reports about very bad service in sf.I will be traveling with another couple and they dont walk to well. No our hotel has no pick up service. :blink: Next has anyone recieved any type of questioneer from Amtrak about a recient trip? I got one about a trip from chi to cle I took last month. 21 questions, on a 1 to 10 scale.Mostly about onboard service. On time, helpfulness of crew, food service ect. Thanks in advance

SFC (San Francisco Ferry Building, California) is a fully staffed Amtrak Station for all arrivals and departures. If a taxi is not available out front (there are usually several nearby) you can have the station agent dispatch one for you and wait for it inside the station's waiting room.

or get off at another stop. The Ambus also stops at fisherman's wharf and at a huge hotel complex downtown with taxi's crawling everywhere (not necessary to change your tickets).

Some, but not all of the transfer busses stop at the Hyatt Regency Hotel (called Financial District). This would be a good stop for taxi service. If your bus does not make that stop, the “Ferry Building” stop (actually located just south of the Ferry Building in front of Sinbad's Restuarant) is just two blocks from the Hyatt. Walk one block north on the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building, turn left and cross the Embarcadero. The Hyatt is the first building on the right-side of Market Street. The hotel entrance and cab stand are one block west at Drumm Street.

By the way, the Embarcdero and Market Street just happen to be on the route of the "F" street car line, Muni's vintage trolley service. And the eastern terminus of the California Cable Car is right in front of the Hyatt at Drumm Street.

SFC is still closed down, I was by there on Sunday as I am looking foward to the day it reopens. The Hyatt Regency is a good place to get a taxi if the bus you are on stops there. Some busses also stop at the SF Shopping Center on Market Street and if it stops there cabs are plentiful on Market. Also, since the Embarcadero is a main thoroughfare in SF it should not be difficult to get a cab on the street or at the Ferry Building itself as one of the finest restaurants in the city "Slanted Door" is at the north end of the building.

I picked the bus up at the Ferry Building last April to go to Emeryville to catch Coast Starlight.

It is a perfectly safe area and I noticed cabs everywhere. Finding one should be no problem. I bet there are a couple waiting for the Amtrak bus to arrive.

There is a local seafood restaurant between the actual Ferry Building and the Amtrak terminal - kind of set back on the bay. Hardly any tourists, excellent food at a (for San Francisco) reasonable price, and great view of the bay. I recommend it - nice bartender.

:D Thanks a lot for all the info. With my companion couple not walking to well this takes a lot off my mind Thanks again!!!!

tp49 said:
SFC is still closed down, I was by there on Sunday as I am looking foward to the day it reopens.
I guess I had assumed it had reopened by now. Did it reopen and then close down again recently?

This from http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com :

San Francisco Ticket Office Reopens

July 1, 2004, at 6:00 a.m. the Amtrak San Francisco Ticket Office, 101 Embarcadero , Suite 118, reopened after months of flood-damage caused repairs and renovations. The station is once again a full service Amtrak ticket office, offering ticket sales, reservations, and checked baggage (to other staffed stations). The station will be open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. AND 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. seven days per week.

This station is served by all Amtrak motor coaches to/from Amtrak's Capitol, San Joaquin, Coast Starlight, and California Zephyr trains which operate out of east bay terminals. Those same Amtrak motor coaches also serve a number of other (unstaffed) San Francisco stops, including Financial District, Moscone Center, Caltrain, Pier 39, and San Francisco Shopping Centre.

I was in there, i.e. the Amtrak station at the SF Ferry Building a couple of months ago and everything seemed fine and fully operational.

Back