Schedule "catalog?"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Matt

A while back I believe I ordered an Amtrak schedule book. It had all the schedule and timetables, various information. Can you still order those?

I am thinking about using Amtrak in the next 6 months or so and would like to easily see where and when I can go....plus I need some ideas!

Thanks,

Matt

You can find a listing of all Amtrak train routes and their schedules here. You can order a free official Amtrak system timetable by clicking here. Good luck and feel free to ask us if you have any questions not addresses on the Amtrak website or in the timetables.

Thanks so much! I rode Amtrak a few times last year for the first and really enjoyed. Got so worried my first trip (snow!) but it worked out. I need some adventure in my life! I'm too boring so I thought I'd be on the lookout to see if they are any good deals to go somewhere new on Amtrak. I'm also thinking about going out to visit some friends on the East Coast. Hey do any Amtrak trains have wireless internet? I doubt it but was just wondering.

I live in Lincoln, NE. Are there any good destinations on the Zephyr WEST of Lincoln that are fun/interesting? I've never been out past Colorado and would like to do something fun in the late fall.

The only Amtrak service that I am aware of that offers onboard wifi is Amtrak's Capitol Corridor, a rather short line operating from Sacramento-Oakland/San Francisco-San Jose in California. Even on that route the service isn't offered on every train but alternates and ends up on about 1/3 of them. Other than that, Amtrak only offers paid wifi access from six of their busiest east coast stations through Cingular wireless.

As for popular destinations west of Colorado on the Zephyr I could recommend my own city of residence -Reno. There are a number of hotels, museums, art galleries, a movie theatre, production theatres, and fun and interesting activities offered within the downtown core and the best part that it is very walkable. Gaming is becoming a smaller part of our downtown each day and there really is so much other stuff to enjoy downtown along the Truckee River now. I would recommend doing a Google search for the Reno Convention and Visitor's Bureau and you can order a copy of our visitor's guide there.

Matt, you can take the Cal Zephyr all the way to its western terminus in Oakland. From there you have access to entire San Francisco Bay Area, which is absolutely beautiful. There are lots of touristy type things to do in San Francisco, plus the beautiful baseball stadium called SBC Park where the Giants play. It's been a while (8 years) since I've been out there, but I do remember there's lots to do there.

battalion51 said:
Matt, you can take the Cal Zephyr all the way to its western terminus in Oakland.
Huh? :unsure:

The Zephyr doesn't terminate in Oakland, it ends its westward run at Emeryville. About 5 miles short of Oakland's station.

AlanB said:
The Zephyr doesn't terminate in Oakland, it ends its westward run at Emeryville. About 5 miles short of Oakland's station.
Right. Amtrak offers thruway motorcoach (bus) connections from Emeryville to a few of the most popular points in San Francisco, as well as additional train and thruway motorcoach service from Emeryville to Oakland/Jack London Square and San Jose.

As batt said, if you go into the Bay Area you might as well take the thruway over to San Francisco as you will find the most points of interest and things to do there.

The major change in timetables is changing from standard time to dst. Since some areas do not change this causes a schedule change.

You can print individual route schedules from Amtrak.com.

Matt said:
I live in Lincoln, NE. Are there any good destinations on the Zephyr WEST of Lincoln that are fun/interesting? I've never been out past Colorado and would like to do something fun in the late fall.
Aloha Matt

You might want to see my picture of the California Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago. I think this one from your home town is cool.
9344131-Th-1.jpg

This trip was in summer so I can only imagine the color in the fall.

Feel free to explore other pictures of my trip, and post yours, and let us know what you decide on. Hint trip report.

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
Matt, you can take the Cal Zephyr all the way to its western terminus in Oakland.

Oh whatever. Tom(A)to Tom(ah)to.

battalion51 said:
AlanB said:
battalion51 said:

Oh whatever. Tom(A)to Tom(ah)to.

It is indeed correct that today's CZ terminates in Emeryville. But historically(from 1949 on) it terminated in Oakland. I do not remember what it was doing when Amtrak took over but it is possilbe it terminated for a few years in Oakland under Amtrak. It was probably being called the San Francisco Zephyr at that time, not sure, but we are talking about the same train route regardless of exact name changes.

Historicailly trains from the East to SF have terminated at 1. Oakland, 2. Richmond and 3. Emervyille(that I know of, there may other places).

Interestingly, it will be noted, and just to further confuse the matter, the Coast Starlight stops at both Emervyille and Oakland.

My point is it's the difference between say Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale, they're two different stations, but close enough that most people wouldn't alter plans if trains didn't stop at one or the other. It's not like we're talking about the difference between say Emeryville and Sacramento. Finally, how many average Americans know where the heck Emeryville is?

Back