Schedule Change

• Thread starter Guest_Fan_Trains
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is usually posted on their website a day or two before it goes into effect. However, you can use the online reservations system to see the changes if you check dates after April 25th (the day the new schedule is effective).

Amtrak did their humble best to make the Pennsylvanian and Captial Limited disfunctional in their Pittsburgh connections. Travel west of Pgh from PA is all but dead....unless you enjoy 4.5 hour wait westbound and a wake up at 4am eastbound followed by a 3.5 hour wait. What a joke!

BTW, I have confirmation from Management that there will be no major Silver Service changes until the end of June at the earliest.

battalion51 said:
BTW, I have confirmation from Management that there will be no major Silver Service changes until the end of June at the earliest.
What do you think is going to happen? I am tentatively planning a trip from Miami to Washington, D.C. on the silver service train that goes via Tampa.

Addionally, how hard is it to get from the Miami airport area hotels to the Amtrak station? Is cab the only option?

battalion51 said:
But at least one minor change which should allow for connections from upstate New York at NYP.............train #97 schedule is supposed to be adjusted to depart NYP at 15:15:00 (3:15PM) on April 25th instead of the current 14:15:00 (2:15PM). And it's about time!! OBS....... :)

battalion51 said:
earth shaking rollback.
I figured you knew about it............. It is to a couple of my friends in upstate New York! LOL....... At least they have a same day connection to FL soon. OBS.......

Steve4031 said:
Addionally, how hard is it to get from the Miami airport area hotels to the Amtrak station?  Is cab the only option?
Aloha

Some years ago when I stayed at the Miami Fountainblue I left via train north to Jacksonvile, DC, Philadelphia, west to Chicago, LA. the hotel was unable to find a taxi that knew where, let alone that there was an Amtrak station. What I eventually did was call the station and they sent one to me. Was less than a half hour drive, even though it was an out of the way location. The cab co. usualy meets incoming trains to take them to the hotel zone.

Fairly easy by either cab or city bus. The station is towards the North of the airport. I would get there from the airport by taking Lejune Ave to 79th St and then 79th St to 37th Ave. The station is located at the end of 37th Ave. The time I took the cab after turning in my rental car at the airport, the fare was about $25. The city bus may be a little cheaper, but I am not sure of how reliable it is. Sometimes I stay in the crew hotel down by the airport, but everytime I have I had my own vehicle. OBS........

Having traveled from the Orlando area to Miami on Amtrak quite a few times, I would offer a couple of other options: When we last used Budget car rental on an Amtrak trip to Miami (we drove down to the Keys, which you should NEVER pass up if you have the opportunity to go!), Budget picked us up and dropped us off at the Amtrak station with their airport shuttle, at no charge. That shuttle runs during mid-morning through mid-evening times. At other times they may offer a shuttle to the airport, but not to Amtrak. Another option is to use Hollywood (FL) as your Amtrak station, and take a Tri-Rail commuter train from that station to the Miami Airport Tri-Rail station or Ft. Lauderdale Int'l airport Tr-Rail station, and then use their airport shuttles from the Tri-Rail stations to the airport, and rent a car there. Obviously these options depend on when your Amtrak trains arrive and leave, but that Tri-Rail system is nice, dependable, runs fairly frequently, and is not expensive to ride..... Their web site is http://www.tri-rail.com and has pretty much any information you could want, including real-time train tracking.

As yet another option, IIRC, Hertz is the Amtrak car rental partner, and if there is not an operating Hertz counter at the station, they may offer to reimburse your cab fare from the station to the local Hertz office. Call and ask. They did this at Charleston, SC for us when we took a trip there by Amtrak two years ago.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Fairly easy by either cab or city bus. The station is towards the North of the airport. I would get there from the airport by taking Lejune Ave to 79th St and then 79th St to 37th Ave. The station is located at the end of 37th Ave. The time I took the cab after turning in my rental car at the airport, the fare was about $25. The city bus may be a little cheaper, but I am not sure of how reliable it is. Sometimes I stay in the crew hotel down by the airport, but everytime I have I had my own vehicle. OBS........
25$ for the cab from the airport to the train? It looked like it was about 4 or 5 miles from the airport to the amtrak station. I thought that the rail communter service had a stop near the airport, but I must be mistaken.

Back