Senate ok's Amtrak; new problems loom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely want to make sure that everyone knows that it is the OBS Manager in New Orleans that it the biggest problem there, not the crews, crew base manager or operations supervisors. As I've stated before, the overall management at NOL is top notch. Unfortunately, the person who's responsible for making the trains run right is BAD FOR PASSENGERS. In addition, she seems to be untouchable as far as company discipline is concerned and is never "really" held responsible for making bad decisions.
Doesn't Amtrak have some type of ombudsman, or place where you can report problems with the internal operation? Where I retired from some years ago had an ethics hotline one could call and remain anonymous and they took the calls seriously unless they were proven otherwise. I can't believe there isn't some type of system you and your fellow workers could use to correct this problem.

Yes MrFSS, there is a Labor Relations Board that has jurisdiction over these matters. Unfortunately, the person in question about the City of New Orleans has been "cleared" of any wrong doing in a case involving another NOL employee and the fact she doesn't support the diner or actively works to kill it isn't against any union rule or company policy. In fact, under the ARSA (the manager's union) contract, a manager can do whatever, within company policy, to actively earn the bonus entiled to them if they spend as few dollars as possible allotted in their budget.

Railroad employees are prohibited by law to lobby, file formal complaints (except issues dealing with discrimination), etc. to any legal mediation board. This is a clause in the Railway Labor Act which requires railroad employees to use their union representatives to go to their employer about comments, complaints and contract benefits. If major issues exist, the union will file charges against the railroad on your behalf (using union lawyers). No individual can be targeted, just the company as a whole. The rules have been laxed over the years, but "technically" all I can do as a railroad employee is to use my First Admendment right to petition the government on issues specifically dealing with Amtrak (as it is a Congressionally chartered company). Actions by the Amtrak Board, President Gunn and his bureaucracy are off limits to labor employees (including ARSA managers) regarding things like operations, such as diners, sleepers, etc. It's very likely the freight railroads have better ombuds services, but Amtrak plays both sides of the fence when it suites their needs (government corp./passenger railroad company).

Yes MrFSS, there is a Labor Relations Board that has jurisdiction over these matters. Unfortunately, the person in question about the City of New Orleans has been "cleared" of any wrong doing in a case involving another NOL employee and the fact she doesn't support the diner or actively works to kill it isn't against any union rule or company policy. In fact, under the ARSA (the manager's union) contract, a manager can do whatever, within company policy, to actively earn the bonus entiled to them if they spend as few dollars as possible allotted in their budget.
Railroad employees are prohibited by law to lobby, file formal complaints (except issues dealing with discrimination), etc. to any legal mediation board. This is a clause in the Railway Labor Act which requires railroad employees to use their union representatives to go to their employer about comments, complaints and contract benefits. If major issues exist, the union will file charges against the railroad on your behalf (using union lawyers). No individual can be targeted, just the company as a whole. The rules have been laxed over the years, but "technically" all I can do as a railroad employee is to use my First Admendment right to petition the government on issues specifically dealing with Amtrak (as it is a Congressionally chartered company). Actions by the Amtrak Board, President Gunn and his bureaucracy are off limits to labor employees (including ARSA managers) regarding things like operations, such as diners, sleepers, etc. It's very likely the freight railroads have better ombuds services, but Amtrak plays both sides of the fence when it suites their needs (government corp./passenger railroad company).
WOW - what a way to run a railroad, as they say!

Back