Severe Weather on the Way

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Well we will have to see how bad this one is....last time we had a big ice storm #19/20 were heavily delayed south of Charlotte. A lot of trees down, signal outages, etc. Dont remember how the Silver Service faired.

I did go over to the NS Inmain yard today, seems to be fairly full. A lot of trains were waiting on the outbound tracks.

Well Southbound #19 is running over 2 hours late this morning. #20 however is already running over 2 1/2 hours late having only traveled a little over 100 miles since New Orleans. Its not looking to good.

As of about 600pm, each train had lost an additional hour enroute. Our roads are all iced over here in Atlanta, especially on my street where a tree came down next door (thankfully not on the power lines). The roads are basically impassible now, but I hope to get out tomorrow mid-morning to get some cool shots of #19 coming into the city. It too should be late and with temperatures predicted to climb up over the freezing mark and up to the 40’s, the ice on the roads might melt by 10-11 tomorrow morning. Got my fingers crossed.

Well....I just got power back for the first time in 24 hours.

On an Amtrak note; #19 made it into New Orleans 3 1/2 hours late last night while #20 did not fair so well. #20 Didn't depart Atlanta till after 1230am, over 4 1/2 hours late.

Well, I was checking, also. I noted that #20 got into NYC about an hour early on Saturday, but of course it went through town just about an hour before the freezing rain and ice and sleet started. How lucky those folks were.

As to power, mine almost never goes out as my apartment has a second generator. Funny thing, this morning as I left my apartment I noticed the power was off all around incluing the traffic lights. I crossed the street to catch a southbound #23 bus with the lights not working. By the time I walked a few feet to my bus stop I looked back and the power had magically come back on, just in those few seconds as I had just crossed in the dark. What timing!!

Back