Silver Service on-time problems

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foodman53

Train Attendant
Now, I don't check this everyday....but, it seems that the on-time performance for the combined "Silver Star/Silver Meteor, has gotten much worse during this temporary schedule, as opposed to better.

It appears to leave their respective end-points (NYP/MIA), on schedule, but massive amounts of time are lost along the way. For example, #91 begins its time loss in the Alexandria/Richmond area....hitting Raleigh nearly 2 hours late in most cases....and keeping this pace(or worse), all the way to Florida

#92, on the other hand, may leave MIA on time, but rarely arrives in JAX better than an hour late, getting much worse as time goes on. Granted, we all realize that Amtrak is held hostage to CSX's dispatchers, but, silly me....I thought that the goal of the temp schedule was to alleviate this problem!!

Perhaps if Amtrak were to provide a press release detailing this to a "friendly" newspaper or TV station along the route....an investigative report might light a fire under CSX's butt!! I wouldn't worry about making CSX(or any other host railroad) mad...my understanding is that working relationship has long been in the "crapper".....and, can't get any worse!!

Granted, transportation delays happen....but, when great pains are taken to re-route schedules to avoid such a problem, and the situation gets worse.....that's unexcusible. Please don't pain me with the need for "two-stopping" stations as an excuse.....10 minutes of speed-limit running after that stop makes up whatever time would be lost.

Maybe, Amtrak needs to "bounce" that incentive payments check!!

From the Florida Funnel

Foodman53

Foodman53 said:
Now, I don't check this everyday....but, it seems that the on-time performance for the combined "Silver Star/Silver Meteor, has gotten much worse during this temporary schedule, as opposed to better.
It appears to leave their respective end-points (NYP/MIA), on schedule, but massive amounts of time are lost along the way.   For example, #91 begins its time loss in the Alexandria/Richmond area....hitting Raleigh nearly 2 hours late in most cases....and keeping this pace(or worse), all the way to Florida

#92, on the other hand, may leave MIA on time, but rarely arrives in JAX better than an hour late, getting much worse as time goes on.  Granted, we all realize that Amtrak is held hostage to CSX's dispatchers, but, silly me....I thought that the goal of the temp schedule was to alleviate this problem!!

Perhaps if Amtrak were to provide a press release detailing this to a "friendly" newspaper or TV station along the route....an investigative report might light a fire under CSX's butt!!   I wouldn't worry about making CSX(or any other host railroad) mad...my understanding is that working relationship has long been in the "crapper".....and, can't get any worse!!

Granted, transportation delays happen....but, when great pains are taken to re-route schedules to avoid such a problem, and the situation gets worse.....that's unexcusible.   Please don't pain me with the need for "two-stopping" stations as an excuse.....10 minutes of speed-limit running after that stop makes up whatever time would be lost.

Maybe, Amtrak needs to "bounce" that incentive payments check!!

From the Florida Funnel

Foodman53
The goal of the combined train was to open a longer window for csx to do track work on Nahunta. The train is trying to get through an area packed with trains utiliing tracks for only a few hours a day whn the curfew is lifted. The odd part to me is the train is not held up at orlando, but gets delayed south of wnter haven. I believe its a single track main there and almost every silver service train becomes late between West Palm and Winter Haven. As for the reason its so late up north, I can only speculate that it is held up for comuter traffic.

Well the possibility for delay is definitely there for the Star between West Palm and Winter Haven. Leaving West Palm it is possible that you may get held for an outbound Tri-Rail from Mangonia Park, held at West Palm Station or at Northwood. Heading north you will encounter P089 around Delta or so, and the P091 around Ridge or so. Now assuming the meet is a rolling meet you'll take at least a 5 minute hit because all those sidings are 15 or 10 MPH. Now, there is also the very real possiblity of trailing Q252 or having to meet a rock train or two in there. Also, don't forget there have been Heat Orders of late also not helping the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back