Silver Service OT status

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

National Limited

Service Attendant
Just curious. Haven't checked the OT info on any of the Silver Service trains since my trip in June on the Super Train. Has OT performance inproved any since the return to normal Silver Service opperation?

We were pretty close to on time, IIRC, for our wpk-ftl-wpk on supertrain in June. But today's Silver Service OTP is bloody awful. We were going to do a round-robin today through tomorrow, taking 91 wpk-deerfield, then 90 deerfield-jax, 89 jax-wth and then 98 wth-wpk, or something along those lines, using our Florida railpasses, but the OTP today was so completely nuts that we decided to cancel, especially since it was looking iffy that we'd even make a connex from either 91 or 97 to 90 at wth, and would have had a LONG wait at jax for 89. 91 is currently running about 8 hours late. 97 is running about 3:30 late.

98 left mia over an hour late, was 2 hours late into jax and 92 left mia almost an hour and a half late, is now over 3 hours late heading for jax). 90 left mia 50 minutes late, is now over 3 hours late on the way to jax. The 89 that left jax this morning didn't do too badly once it got to Florida - it left jax 1:33 late, and was less than two hours late at Hollywood. The web site had no arrival for it in mia. The next 89 is somewhere between Wilson NC and FLO and is between 3:30 and 4:00 hours late. I did not keep track of them yesterday, and can only assume that since all three were late departing mia today, they must all have been late arriving mia yesterday (although I don't know what the choreography is for turning the equipment around...) Maybe it was also crew rest requirements. And to complete the picture, P02 is currently around 10:30 late, having (so far) departed chipley for tlh. Even for those of us who are rabid Amtrak fans and supporters, it's hard to promote rail travel to other folks under these conditions........

I don't know, but stuff is messed up, JAX South has no Extra Board Engineers, and no Extra Board Conductors qualified to Miami available that I'm aware of. Things are pretty bad down here right now.

battalion51 said:
I don't know, but stuff is messed up, JAX South has no Extra Board Engineers, and no Extra Board Conductors qualified to Miami available that I'm aware of. Things are pretty bad down here right now.
Isnt MIA crewbase only obs?

One good thing about the Silver star being late all the time is that I don't have to wake up so early to watch it go by :p

Amfleet said:
engine999 said:
battalion51 said:
He said qualified to Miami, not based in Miami.
I know, i was wondering if the mia crew base was only obs. Im trying to figure out if there are any train service personell that work mia-jax-mia.

engine999 said:
Amfleet said:
engine999 said:
battalion51 said:
He said qualified to Miami, not based in Miami.
I know, i was wondering if the mia crew base was only obs. Im trying to figure out if there are any train service personell that work mia-jax-mia.
Miami crewbase staffs primarily OBS, mechanical, etc crews, but they do staff the T&E crews for the "Palmetto" for regular service and yard crews ( I believe CSX no longer staffs the yard jobs for Amtrak, or they won't in the future). They operate the train between MIA-LAK. They are called out off and on to "rescue" late "Star" and "Meteor" trains when that occurs (like it doesn't..........LOL)! :lol:

For example, today a MIA based Engineer brought the train to WTH. From there the Engineers from 91 yesterday (who spent the night at the hotel in Lakeland), got on board and brought the train the rest of the way into JAX. The Conductors outlawed at some point as they went on duty at 0615 and the train didn't leave until 1100. The reason for the late departure, Diner needed new wheels. They didn't figure that out until 0630 or so.

Today 98, 92, and 01 were all late leaving their points of origination - 98 by 4 hours (6:30 late to jax), 92 late by 5:20 leaving mia, currently approx 7:30 late at Kissimmee, and 01 was 6 hours late leaving Sanford. Yikes! I don't know how much of each of those was crew-rest-related, and how much was equipment not ready. Certainly the collision the east (south) bound 02 Sunset had this morning south of Orlando contributed on the equipment side. I hope CSX finally installs a crossing gate system at that site - that's the third fatal crash at that crossing. I don't know how the crews handle those - must be awfully hard to deal with, even knowing it was not their fault in any way.

Hialeah's in a stste of crisis!!! :(

Go to the new post on Hialeah to find out what's going on.

Miami Joe B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back